Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

grouping issue

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default grouping issue

hey guys got a new bow its a Hoyt Turbohawk 28'' draw 70lbs shooting a wisker bisc. on it and my arrows will group very well at 20 yards however when i move out to 30 + yards the 2 of the 3 arrows will group well however another aarow will go off way to the right it isnt any particular arrow and it isnt always the third shot? the aarows also look like they have a bit of an angle on them when they hit the target is this from the wisker bisc. not being able to handle the speed of the bow? should i look into a diff rest? The aarows are carbon express 250's with blazer vains. I am at a total loss !
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Is your string running straight off the cams . If not you might need to add a twist cable . I dont know much about those arrows but are you sure they are the right spine . If thats all good just make sure your arrow is sitting on you rest nice a straight . Good luck let us know what you come up with .
Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I'm guessing you should be shooting 350's. If you don't want to spend the money or even if you do, paper tune that bad boy. If you keep getting radical tears in the paper every which way, Your going to have to get 350's. I have never been a big fan of the WB for good groups beyond 20 yards, get a drop away.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

i second the wisker bicuit, mine shot great for 20 shots then started throwing an arrow here and there. drove me absolutley nuts. try an ultra rest, my buddy has one on a Gaurdian and I like it. it will be my next purchase. right now I know the first shot with my W/B will be where I want it, which is what counts, after that who knows. plus you are loosing alot of speed through it. prolly gain 5-10fps with a drop away.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a WB for years without any problems. Sounds to me as though your arrows are too stiff. Try using a 125 gr or heavier head and see what happens. Of course this is all depending on how well you shoot to begin with. Not saying you are a bad shot - or have bad form, just brain storming.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

yeah my bad i am shooting 350's maybe ill just try the 125 trick if that dont help ill switch to a drop away
Old 08-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If stiffness is the problem, I would just increase point weight until you hit it right. This will increase FOC which is desireable for hunting. Going to a 125 may not cure it. The Easton shaft selector indicates your setup with a 150 grain point should need an arrow with .340 deflection.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Spike

How long are your arrows? Spine issues will give you tuning fits but not at random like the OP states. You could just be torquing the bow. I'd number your arrows and see if a pattern emerges. Sometimes a simple twist of the nock will help you out. Now if your arrows are under 28" you may be on the stiff side. You state later on about a 125gr trick. Are you talking broadheads or field points? Since you call out 125gr I'll assume you are currently shooting 100gr heads? More information please. Also how many shots through the "new" bow?