Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and..... >

Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and.....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and.....

Old 07-07-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and.....

My Cougar Mag is one year old and just had the string and cable changed at the pro shop. It shoots great but here' s my problem the bow use to bottom out at #75 now it is bottomed out at #68. Is this normal? I think I have read other posts about this but am not sure of the out come. I use to shoot around 263fps@#72(27" DL) just have not shot through the chronograph yet to see what it shoots now, will this change?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and.....

Could be incorrect cable/string length; however, I strongly suggest that you immediately examine the bow for a bent riser. A drop from 75 peak to 68 peak is drastic. I suspect the worse, but hope for the best.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

before the new string was put on did you take any measurements ie axle to axle and brace height?

If you did and they are wrong now then chances are the sting and cables are too long and need to be twisted up.

Or like 903 said you could have a bent riser[:' (]
Old 07-08-2003, 08:37 AM

OK, the riser looks good and the measurements are almost right on BH, tiller, nock point. One thing that I did while I was sighting in with the new set up (that I did not notice at the time) was adjust my sight. It was hitting 6-8" lower than with the origanal set up(-fps?). Hopefully I will be able to go to the pro shop before the weekend and ask them!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:52 AM

How did you originally determine that there was a 7-lb difference in Peak Draw when the limbs were bottomed out? What is the draw range of your bow; 55-70, 60-75, etc.?

Do you have the " Fuzions?" I see that the draw-weights are 50, 60, and 70-lb.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:46 AM

c903,

I have a bow scale at home it read #72 before the string change, this was verified by my pro shop on their scale. After the string change my scale read #68 and when I tried to turn the limb bolts I could not. This is when I noticed the bolts cranked all the way down. I had also asked to have the draw weight set to #70 after the string change.My Cougar Mag has a fuzion cam and on the limbs the sticker from Martin claims #75 peak draw weight and I believe #60 min.

Thank You,
maccjo
Old 07-08-2003, 11:55 AM

I had this problem once with WC. They told me to put a couple of twist in the cable. Presto, back to normal. If you ever have problems with there products, e-mail Mike and he will help you out.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:16 PM

If you are positive that the person who pressed your bow did not bend or fracture your riser, or did not back off the limbs and therefore stressd the limbs, I would opt that the new cables and string has shortened your draw-length.

Nevertheless, if you instructed the shop to set your bow a certain way, and they did not, or they could not but did not tell you, don' t let it pass. If a bow shop cannot/does not provide competent work and service, they do not belong in the business.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll second jackos coment if you twist the cabels a turn or two you' ll probably get the couple pounds you are looking for .
Old 07-09-2003, 08:17 AM

Thank You one and all! I am glade for all the help and will try to get back to the pro shop ASAP to get a twist or two on the cables(I do not have a bow press). I was a little pissed when I put the bow on my scale and realized it was not the way I wanted it and then found the limb bolts bottomed out. Being draw length challenged (27" ) I like to get all the speed I can get to push up my K.E., I like complete pass throughs(HOPE I DIDN' T START ANYTHING WITH THAT STATEMENT). c903 I still can not find a thing wrong with my riser but am not 100% sure the limb bolts were backed off when they worked on my bow.
Again thanks to all!

Quick Reply: Changed Winners Choice strings and cables and.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.