Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Mounting a bow sight question >

Mounting a bow sight question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mounting a bow sight question

Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mounting a bow sight question

When mounting a sight that offers multiple mounting holes how far forward of the riser should the sight be mounted for hunting?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of mounting close to the riser vs far from the riser?

Thanks
WV
Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is personal preference.

A sight that is closer will be more forgiving to pin movement on the target but won't be as precise.

A pin further out will be touchy but more precise.

You can move the pins in or out to match the size of your peep for better alignment with the housing.

Increase the distance from the peep,the pin gap gets wider.Closer naturally the pins get closer together.

Too far out and weight could become an issue so as you can see,it is a very personal choice.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

i prefer the pins to be about 3 or 3 1/2 inches from the riser so i have a nice set up becuase i hunt in blinds alot. but as tfox said it all depends
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO it all boils down to user preference. I too prefer a sight that extends about 3" or so from the riser. The average sight on the market at that distance is just the right size for me for my 1/4" peep.