Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need help setting up Mathews S2 >

Need help setting up Mathews S2

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help setting up Mathews S2

Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need help setting up Mathews S2

I need some advice on something i really know nothing about. Ive never knew much about the technical aspects of bow hunting. Anyhow i was shooting a Hoyt V-tech, but my dad told me he would sell me his s2 for fifty bucks if he could have the hoyt. Which sounds like a good deal for me, but got some questions.
His draw legnth is shorter then mine by quite a bit, to fix this do i have to buy new cams? If so should i buy the s2 cam or is there a better alternative. Another thing, his poundage is 60, but i saw that the bow can go up to seventy and it says sixty on the bow. How would i go to seventy, would i have to purchase new limbs. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for being so clueless on the matter.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of a S2 they did have a Q2 or SQ2. Mathews bow are draw specific so to change draw length you'll have to buy a new cam and I'm pretty sure that the cams aren't interchangeable so you'll have to buy the cam that's made for that bow. On your limb question if the bow has 60-70 lbs limbs set at 60 then you can just crank them down to 70. If they're 50-60 lbs then you'll need to buy new limbs.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

i appreciate your help very much. Thanks for clearing that all up, guess ill make a big trip to the bow shop in a few. also, IYO do you think the difference between sixty to seventy is a big enough deal to buy new limbs?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a huge difference between the two. I personally, because I ain't as young as I used to be, Bought my new Z7 with 60 lbs limbs and love the ease of shooting lighter weight. If you bottom out those limbs you can probably get 62 lbs out of them. Glad to help.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not familiar with the Matthews bows. But I do know that today's bows are much faster than those 20, 10, or even 5 years ago. Before, most hunters used a 70# bow to generate enough speed with, lets say a 450 gr arrow for relatively flat trajectory which in turn would generate enough kenetic energy to harvest deer and elk or other game. With today's bows you can shoot lighter arrows much faster with more flatter trajectory with less draw weight giving you a similar kenetic energy with less strain on you. I used to always shoot bows in the 70 to 80# range. But today my heaviest DW is 63#. My favorite bow is a Martin Cheetah with the DW set at 51#. Shooting a 326 gr arrow, this bow is plenty fast enough for whitetail and is deadly silent and accurate.
Now there is a fine line between speed/energy/penetration. Depending on the game you are hunting you may still need a heavier arrow to 'drive thru' it. A moose for example.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-21-2010 at 04:47 AM.