Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How do you make your bow real quiet? >

How do you make your bow real quiet?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do you make your bow real quiet?

Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 PM

Default How do you make your bow real quiet?

What are some of your best ways to make your bow really quiet? Any good tricks or products? Thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do you make your bow real quiet?

First off, I shoot without my quiver attached. Secondly,
I' m a huge fan of all SLV products. They really do a
great job of eliminating noise and vibration.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a heavy arrow, oh wait- that' s no fun!!
Once I get my buzz buster in I' ll let you how it works for my set up.
Normal stuff here, rubber based stabilizer (doinker), string silencers, cable dampner, no quiver.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

String:
NO TUBE STYLE PEEP! [X(] SIMS Leeches on String and cable/cables

Arrow:
At least keep it moderately weighted........obviously your bow will be whisper quiet with a 1000gr bowfishing arrow, but not exactly practical(Unless you happen to be bowfishing). If you want quiet, heavier is the rule.....you' ll need to find your own personal trade off level of speed/trajectory vs. noise level.
Also, its a no brainer, but an aluminum or carbon arrow drug across a metal or other noisy launcher and then shot is another [X(]

Bow:
SIMS Limbsavers and NV limb dampeners flat out work(By themselves good,together even better)........the cable guard dampener? A little gimmicky but won' t hurt. If you want to get crazy you should see some of our " Rubber Monsters" of a few years ago! Ask Frank, we stuffed all sorts of things into, on and around our bows there for a while........style and sensibility thankfully prevailed on that one. Moleskin the arrow shelf. Make sure all cam/mod screws are tight....check e-clips.

Accessories:
LOC-Tite everything you don' t want or need to move. If you need it to move readily it shouldn' t be on a hunting bow. If it' s not tight it' s gonna make noise, so set it and hopefully forget it.
Moleskin your rest' s launchers..........flip the rest around and listen for clinks and clanks, and then get creative. If a set screw on the rest arm is hitting with a " clank" when shot ,deaden the noise with more moleskin (can you tell I like moleskin?) Pluck the string and listen for any vibrations........if you have any buzzes, either tighten,fix or replace whatever you hear. A good vibration Dampening/noise reducing stabilizer like a Stealth,Sorbotek,Kyber,SIMS etc will help quite a bit. Vibration is what ultimately causes noise so anything that absorbs vibration is gonna help.
A good quiet release aid........ever hear how much quieter the same bow is when shot with fingers?[]
I don' t think I' ve EVER heard a bow that was as quiet WITH a quiver as it was WITHOUT. I hate bow mounted quivers.

Bow design itself:
Some bows are just quieter than others.........pick one that' s quiet bare bow off the rack and things will (should) only get better.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:50 AM

any or all of the sims products ,you will be amazed at the differece that they make!, you' ll never shoot without them again, at least i know i won' t [:-]

Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 AM

Lot' s of good suggestions above. I will add that the cable dampeners will have a noticable effect if you mount it within 1/4" of the cable slide. The slide will hit it after the shot and immediately deaden any vibration in the cable.

One of the things I' ve done, that has had the biggest effect of almost anything, was to make sure there is no metal to metal contact on any accessory. I put a layer of moleskin on all accesories, where they meet the riser, and between any accessories that mount on top of each other. This will significantly quiet down most bows.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advise PA that e-clip thing got me . It took me forever to figure where the buzz was coming from and that was it on the top cam . The new doinker stabilizers with 4 carbon rods and a weight in front are awesome , they realy cut out the noise , better than any other I' ve tryed including , simms , steath , bomar , x-ring , or nap shockblocker .
Old 06-10-2003, 09:02 AM

I just thought of another way to quiet a bow that might be the ultimate way.

You know how they make those cloth limb cover things to " quiet your bow" . Well, it is along those same lines.

Get some Simms Insulator Wrap and wrap it around the limbs. I am not sure how well this would work, or if it would work, but, it would be interesting to try it out.

The other guys also gave you some great ideas and I am not sure what else to add. Use as many simms products as you can fit on your bow because they REALLY do work.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have a E-clip issue on my mighty mite. If I pluck the string near the top wheel I can hear a buzz like it' s the e-clip, but both feel firmly mounted. Any tips in that regard?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:44 PM

The closer your bow' s draw-weight is dialed to the max peak-weight, the quieter your bow will be.

Rubber mount everything that you can. An aluminum riser is a resonator and will reverberate the smallest contact sounds; just like a tuning fork. You might hear some sounds, but some sounds may be beyond your hearing range, but not a deer' s.

Quick Reply: How do you make your bow real quiet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.