Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Hushing up my bow! >

Hushing up my bow!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hushing up my bow!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Spike

Default Hushing up my bow!

I am a beginner bow hunter but I did harvest my first doe last week. What a rush! Anyways, one thing I noticed shooting in the woods is that my bow sounded loud. I have a PSE Nova SU, not the best but it works great for me. I have a vibration dampner and string silencers installed. What else will help eliminate sound to hush up my bow. I cant wait to go out again.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of the stuff works for some folks but some of it seems like marketing to me.I was shooting naked string except for the loop and added some cat whiskers this year and am pleased with results.If you add to many little attachments it does slow string down,not much but still more junk to buy and slow it down.Look at the cat whiskers and cut them to about 1/2 dollar size diameter and see if that helps you.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have few options:

1. You can shoot a heavier arrow which absorb more of energy on the shot (kinda expensive).

2. You could look into the option of a string supressor. HNI's own MeanV makes a custom string supressor:

http://www.meanvarchery.com/index.html

3. Google and download the 'Easton Tuning Guide'. A well tuned bow will shoot quieter. Some of the info is a bit dated and some will debate the value of paper tuning. However, this guide is a good place to start learning about tuning.

4. It's best to have friend help evaluate your bow noise level because it always sounds louder to the shooter.

5. Congrats on your harvest.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget to look at the quiver vibrating. With the quiver my bow, it seams like it is twice as loud as while practicing without.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

If the bow has no other issues, and just makes noise! Limb saver, bow jax, and others, makes a few things: limb dampeners, string suppressors, cable guard dampener, and of course a stabilizer, (some) will take out shock. You can also put cat whiskers on the cables. Strings and cables act like a guitar so you want to quiet the strumming noise.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try the string guide dampener and cat whiskers. I have a set of silencers on my string now, so I have to remove them. They look like they are between my strings, do I need a bow press or do I cut them off?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

If you are not going to use them again, just cut them off. The string dampener is better, especiallly if you have a bow with a short brace height. They make a front, side and back dampener. STS model can be used both front and back, I think that is the ones I carry. STS also puts a tamer on the rod itself to take out some of the string shock, which I think is a great idea! Let me know if I could be of some more help, and buy the way-welcome to the addiction. You now have become an addict! lol Congrats on your first!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Spike

I agree a sts string stop does wonders.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

In all honesty, I wouldn't spend a "lot" of money dressing that bow up. The couple I shot were LOUD, and I'm not sure there was a whole lot that was gonna fix them that would be "worth" it. That being said, if you want to get the best bang for your $$$, a front mount STS on that bow is what I'd do. Maybe drop a few $$ for some cat-whiskers, as well. I believe they are just as good as the more expensive "string leeches" or whatever other names they are called for the most part, but the STS is gonna be the best spent $$$.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

the meanv string suppressor works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.