Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

400+ fps!!!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default 400+ fps!!!!!

Has anyone seen the new High Country Bows that shoot over 400 fps? You can dry fire it as many times as you want and it want blow up. They have new carbon arrows for it that weigh as little as 3 grains per pound. I talked to guy a the local pro shop sho shot one through a chrony at a archery show and said it read 406!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:39 AM

Default RE: 400+ fps!!!!!

ORIGINAL: nate121080

You can dry fire it as many times as you want and it want blow up.
I think they mean they will warranty it if it blows up. There is no bow brand period that will not have an occasional blow up due to misuse or defects in materials. I think high country is going to be flooded with warranty claims this year promoting the use of such light arrows (IMO). But with that said i have not shoot any of their new bows in the last 4 years.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 AM

A freind of mine has gotten 401 fps out of his with their ultra light arrows. Problem is it will not group consistently. With a 398 grn arrow, however, it shoots great and still maintains plenty of speed.

Happy Huntin'
Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far the only one I' ve seen in action was at the ATA show. 70lbs, 30" draw shooting a 225gr arrow. The point was to prove it would stand up to the occasional dry-fire or extra light arrow. The pieces went across the chrono at 417fps. Mostly, you can be asured that the bow won' t shoot 400fps in the real world because not very many people can get arrow weight that low in the first place, and certainly not a hunting arrow.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:09 PM

The only problems HCA had at the bow show was with bow string failure, from what I understand the bow itself was fine. They have got a strong bow!!! Now they just need to find a string that can stand up to it.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:07 PM

Why would anyone want to hunt with that light of an arrow??? I guess it would be OK for 3D though.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:07 PM

yes I am sure the HC bow is shooting that with arrows well below 5 grains per pound. But honestly who would want to shoot an arrow that light? If you shot a bowtech Extremem VFT or a Mathews Black Max 2 with a 4 grain per pound arrow you could hit that mark too but who wants to take the risk of blowing up their bow. I saw the HC' s at the ATA show but honestly I didn' t care for them. I don' t think the average hunter wants or needs to shoot such a light arrow to get that speed.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually Orion you' re almost correct Kevin at BowTech stripped down an arrow at the ATA show(I think he had to use one of his wife' s arrows with no fletching or a point) to match the weight of High Country' s test arrow and took an Extreme VFT at the same specs and flipped her thru a chrono..........423fps.
I would imagine the Black Max or Hoyt' s Supertec would put up a similar number.
SOoooooo. It would appear that at normal IBO specs the High Country they used is just another average single cam bow performance wise.
Just a marketing scheme to garner some interest........and if you ask me if it' s taken seriously and literally,it' s one that might get somebody really hurt. [X(]
Old 06-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

guys hca is not telling you to shoot a arrow of 225 grains for hunting they are just showing the extremes that the bow can go and yes the others will probably shoot the same or close to the same speeds but point is they will rattle your teeth out and this is fact i have personaly done these tests and at the magic 400 fps the hca carbon feels as if it was just 300 fps super quiet and no shock so if you can drop down to say 4 grains per pound and shoot say 360fps with a very fast quiet and accurate hunting bow would you not enjoy the yardage forgiveness this would give? so yes there is something with the carbon that does exsorb the light weight arrows and i can guarantee that hca would not put out a bow and promote something that is going to be unsafe and create anyharm to anyone!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do they make their cams, strings, cables and idler wheels out of that same carbon as well? Cause thats what will be hitting you in the head not the limbs or the riser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.