Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What size peep

Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
srk
Spike

Default What size peep

What size peep are yall using with your hha ds xl5519 with 2" sight housing ? I have a 1/4 inch peep now but I cant see the whole sight housing thinking of moving up to a 5/16 peep.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by srk
What size peep are yall using with your hha ds xl5519 with 2" sight housing ? I have a 1/4 inch peep now but I cant see the whole sight housing thinking of moving up to a 5/16 peep.
Whatever it takes. It might be different for different people. Size of the round guard, draw length, distance the peep is from the eye all make for a different answer.

Personally I don't worry about seeing the housing, but for hunting I usually use the largest peep I can get. That's normally 1/4" or 5/16". I know I don't torque the bow so my anchor is consistent enough to get sufficient accuracy for hunting. I could robably do without a peep altogether, but old habits die hard.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

1/4" and you can't see what you need to see??? Something's not right, 1/4" is a LARGE peep, and that housing ain't that big. I'm thinking your anchor is wrong. I have 3/16" on most of my bows, and they circle a 2" housing with a little room to spare at 29" - 29.5" draw. Have the same thing on a 25" draw bow for the wife and it's sufficient, not sure what the issue is. Are you sure you don't have a 1/8" peep. I shot 1/8" peeps, for a spell, but they were just too difficult to get enough light through in low-light conditions, so I went back to 3/16".
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
srk
Spike

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
1/4" and you can't see what you need to see??? Something's not right, 1/4" is a LARGE peep, and that housing ain't that big. I'm thinking your anchor is wrong. I have 3/16" on most of my bows, and they circle a 2" housing with a little room to spare at 29" - 29.5" draw. Have the same thing on a 25" draw bow for the wife and it's sufficient, not sure what the issue is. Are you sure you don't have a 1/8" peep. I shot 1/8" peeps, for a spell, but they were just too difficult to get enough light through in low-light conditions, so I went back to 3/16".
Not sure whats going on . Maybe my peep is to high ? I also just put this sight on my bow. I think Im going to untie the peep and move it down to see if that makes a difference. Pretty sure its a 1/4" I can take a 1/4" drill bit and it starts to go into the hole in the peep tight. Ill let you know how it turns out.