Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Sighting Compound Bow >

Sighting Compound Bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting Compound Bow

Old 11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Sighting Compound Bow

I went to an archery place that sights bows and I got it sighted for 10 yards at the top pin now dose that mean that all the rest of the pins are sighted in at 20 30 40 and 50 yards or do I got to move the pins in order to sight them?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

NOPE. You have to sight each pin for the yardage you desire. Something you'll learn as you get a little more experience is tat there really is no need of a pin set for 10 yards. With the pin set for 20 yards the arrow will only impact about 1" high at 10 yards.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Spike

It is sighted at 10 yards at the top pin at stock poistion which is about almost in the middle there is 5 pins on my sight i want to set them at 20 30 40 and 50 with the 10 yard pin on there also dose this mean i have to move the 10 yards pin up and then sight it so i will have enough room to sight the 50 yard pin in or the pins dont get moved that much? I have a 50 to 55 pound bow if this will help
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default why 10 yds?

First off, why would you sight a pin at 10 yards? 20 is the standard. Yes, you have to adjust each pin individually. And yes again, you can only adjust your bottom pin as far as your sight picture and bow will throw an arrow.

I prefer a single pin sight. I have mine sighted in to 75 yds. good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Spike

the place i went to only had a range in the store at 10 yards so i had no choice but i am still wondering if the pins move away from eachother a lot or do they stay pretty close to eachother?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

chances are that their 10 yard pin will not be exact for you..ya need to get a bag and practice practice practice....put em where ya want em, you will see that your 10 and 20 will probably be tooo close together..so jus get out there and shoot..also....dont go shootin alot if ya dont shoot often....start with jus a few shots a day...hate fer ya to pull a muscle!!!ya might feel good, but story's i heard were sayin how it popped outta nowhere, they felt fine befor and so on..so take it real slo
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being as the place you were at only had 10 yards then at least you have a pin set for something. Of course you are going to go someplace that you can shoot longer, eventually. When you do this is when youy should set that top pin for 20 yards. You won't have to move it much.

I would also suggest you don't worry about sighting in for longer than 30 yards for now. You sound new enough that you aren't going to be able to shoot accurately enough to shoot much more than 30 yards for a while.

Stick with close yardages for now. You have all next spring and summer to work on longer yardages. Consider that most of us with experience don't or won't shoot much more than 30 yards for hunting anyway. We know that bowhunting is a short range sport. That doesn't mean we don't practice at longer distances, but it takes time to develop good shooting form and tuning the equipment to be able to group arrows at longer disatnces.

Take your time and learn.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Being as the place you were at only had 10 yards then at least you have a pin set for something. Of course you are going to go someplace that you can shoot longer, eventually. When you do this is when youy should set that top pin for 20 yards. You won't have to move it much.

I would also suggest you don't worry about sighting in for longer than 30 yards for now. You sound new enough that you aren't going to be able to shoot accurately enough to shoot much more than 30 yards for a while.

Stick with close yardages for now. You have all next spring and summer to work on longer yardages. Consider that most of us with experience don't or won't shoot much more than 30 yards for hunting anyway. We know that bowhunting is a short range sport. That doesn't mean we don't practice at longer distances, but it takes time to develop good shooting form and tuning the equipment to be able to group arrows at longer disatnces.

Take your time and learn.
+1, very well said......
Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike

the 10 yard pin is set about half way in the middle of the sight will this give me enough room to set the other ones for farther yardage or should i move it up close to the top and then sight it?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Eagles22793
the 10 yard pin is set about half way in the middle of the sight will this give me enough room to set the other ones for farther yardage or should i move it up close to the top and then sight it?
If you can move the whole sight guard I would prefer to have the pins set at 20-30-40 with the 30 yard pin in the middle of the guard. The 20 would be just slightly higher and the 40 just a little lower.

That's for now. You can always make some adjustments to suit yourself or when you add those other pins, but you have to start somewhere. Make is easy for yourself and don't try to over think things too much.