Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Are your sight pins to the left of your string? (not centered) >

Are your sight pins to the left of your string? (not centered)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Are your sight pins to the left of your string? (not centered)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Spike

Default Are your sight pins to the left of your string? (not centered)

So I tuned by bow with my new rest today. First I bare shaft tuned. Got the field point and bare shafts hitting the same place. Then I paper tuned. Bullet holes except for a slight high tear that I couldnt really work out. But it seemed to be shooting well. So then I sighted in my pins. After I got it all sighted in, I noticed that my pins were to the left of the string when the string was centerd with an arrow and the rest. Is this normal?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

yep, mines the same way, pretty much normal.

For what its worth, I believe its probably caused by the cable putting pressure on the cable guard rod and slightly torquing the riser.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeremy3303
yep, mines the same way, pretty much normal.

For what its worth, I believe its probably caused by the cable putting pressure on the cable guard rod and slightly torquing the riser.
You're on the right track. Yes, it's normal for the sight pins to be left of the string (RH bow), but the reason is not riser torque but side torque and twist applied to the limbs by the cable(s)/string being pulled to the side by the rod/slide. This side pull gets even more exaggerated during the draw cycle as more pressure is applied to the cable(s).
Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If youre a right handed shooter its normal for the sights to be left of the string when not at draw. Mine is the same way. Then when you draw everythign seems to line up the way it should. I dont understand that part of it though. You would think if youre truely drawning straight back then the pins would still be left of the string, but they arent...I think its a distance thing between the sites and the peep....no idea..someone explain this to me....