Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Pucketts broadheads >

Pucketts broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pucketts broadheads

Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Spike

Default Pucketts

I ended up switching to some carbon arrows and used a Wasp open on impact. Sighted field points back in and hitting with Wasp great. Shot a 7pt. yesterday morning at 26- 29 yards thru the heart. What a great blood trail. Thanks for all the advice though. Will look into more next year. Shot so fast didn't even see it go through. The aluminum arrows I used never had pass thru.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ijimmy
Your problem is your bow is out of tune , start by making sure you cable and string lengths are to spec , then cam timing , then broadhead tuning with a fixed broadhead , you should have no problems with mechanical heads if you can do all the abouve .

Not a big fan of puckets , or any mechanical for that matter , tekans would be my choice if I had to .
Maybe not necessarily, but maybe.

Here's a quick rundown of what I do to set a bow up. And I can get Extremely stiff shafts to tune to a lighter weight bow, even with BH's most of the time....

First I zero one pin, at 20-25yds depending on the speed of the bow I'm shooting. Then I do a walkback to 40-50yds, making sure that with FP's the rest would appear to be perfectly centered. After that, I go back to 20-25yds and shot a couple FP's, and a couple BH's. And not the relationship between the two. I adjust my rest ever so slightly to make sure BH and FP are hitting together at 25yds or so, then move out to 40-50, and shoot again. If both are still together, then I'm DONE, if not, I very finely tune the rest to obtained "togetherness," re-check at 25, and usually then I REALLY am done.

With the OP's specific situation, some of what is happening don't quite add up. I'd be interested in what the complete set-up is...Bow, arrows, DL, DW length of arrows, etc. The most difficult to tune set-ups always seem to be the UNDERSPINED, and if that set-up is UNDERSPINED, then it will give you major headaches.

Another thing to take into consideration is the shaft diameter of the Carbon arrows vs. your aluminums, most carbons are thinner than a 23 series aluminum, which would explain why the arrow would hit to the right, and the rest would be ever so slightly to the right of centershot for that specific shaft. It also would likely be LOW, but the speed gains attained by using a LIGHTER arrow wouldn't initially exposed that until you tried to compare BH's with FP's POI.

PM me if you want me to dig real deep.....