Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Not satisfy with PSE Stinger >

Not satisfy with PSE Stinger

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Not satisfy with PSE Stinger

Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default Not satisfy with PSE Stinger

Hi guys new to the site and archery.I bought the PSE Stinger but I not satisfied with it.I bought the package bow,I just don't feel that the bow has enought hum(power) after 20 yards.I'm using arrows RedHead Carbon Fury(6075) 10.6 grains per inch,spine deflection 362 my draw weight is 70lbs and draw lenght is 27".I'm bought this bow to see if I was going to like archery specially hunting,now I'm hook.So I want to get a new bow that is better quality any suggestion I will appreciate.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You could learn or spend more money

"I just don't feel that the bow has enought hum(power) after 20 yards."

It's ok to want speed, but the bow isn't firing magnums or even 30-06 rounds. And there are a number of older archers, some just experienced, who harvested deer with slower bows than you have.

Of course, faster bows are available. Speed is available at another $300 or $500, but that isn't always available. Some archers couldn't hunt, if they had to have the fastest. And many of them are good practiced shooters.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default You got plenty

Originally Posted by boricuahunter
I just don't feel that the bow has enought hum(power) after 20 yards.I'm using arrows RedHead Carbon Fury(6075) 10.6 grains per inch,spine deflection 362 my draw weight is 70lbs and draw lenght is 27".
Not enough power after 20 yds,What weight broadhead are you using is my question?If you are shooting 70 lbs with a 100 grn broadhead you should have more than enough Kinetic energy to drop a deer to 40 yds.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Spike

you cant expect a bow that shoots ibo 303fps to have much ump if your shooting an arrow that is 10.6 grains per inch. That is a super heavy arrow that will have a lot of drop passed 20 yrds. Its not bad too shoot an arrow that heavy just cant expect it too be very fast. Your draw length will cause you to lose around 30 fps right off the top. Try dropping to an arrow around 8 grains per inch and you will pick up quite a few fps right there. I shoot a stinger and a 27in draw length but shoot easton flatline .500 which are 6.5 grains per inch. Ive chronoed at 260-264 consistently. To give a comparison i started with easton ST excels at 8.6 grains per inch and was shooting in the 220s. Switched to the Flatlines and speed picked up to the 260s.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

The deer didnt complain before they died. I have a stinger, and mine is a 50-60. I have not had any issues. I also own a hoyt. And IMO the pse is smoother, and quiter. I'm not so sure the deer cared how fast my bow was. Although I understand where you are coming from. Next year i too am buying a faster bow, But only cuz i can't judge range worth a crap. Plus who doesn't want a new bow. I have no idea how fast my stinger is, nor do i care. I just care how quiet it is, and how accurately i can shoot it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Stinger is a great bow. I have a 2009 Stinger I bought this spring and love it. Its fast, quiet and quiet. It sounds too me youre using too heavy of an arrow. Im not sure why you feel the bow isnt fast enough. Its plenty fast and Im not sure why you feel the need to have the 70# limbs maxed out. Try a little lighter arrow and maybe a lighter broadhead but i would stick with a 100gr head if you can.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been around this archery and bowhunting game for 36 years now and here's something you can take to the bank. Any bow drawing 50#, whether it's a longbow/recurve, slow compound, or the fastest one out there, shooting a properly spined arrow and sharp broadhead is capable of downing animals out to 30-35 yards if the shot is placed properly in the vitals.

Any bow drawing more weight than that is normally shooting a heavier arrow (for a given draw length) so produces more kinetic energy and should get more penetration.

More foten than not problems arise from lack of proficiency of the shooter or poor shot selection andor poor bow tuning. You got plenty of bow to get the job done.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Spike

i second that, I'm shooting almost the same set up and only shot one pin. i by no means am a pro but i have no drop in yardage out to 35 yards or so... although I'm @ 29 dl
Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Spike

I am similar to you. I have a 26inch draw length. I have a pse vengeance IBO of 308. I shoot arrows that are 7.3 gpi. It's got more than enough power to kill a deer,as you already know. I wanted more speed so I bought a bowtech equalizer. This bow is much faster, and shoots more accurately than the PSE. The bowtech has a harsh draw cycle, and very little valley, which has resulted in many arrows being fired prematurely. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of different bows on the market. None of them are perfect, and in the end it comes down to the man or woman who is doing the shooting.