Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need help with bow & arrow choice. >

Need help with bow & arrow choice.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help with bow & arrow choice.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with bow & arrow choice.

I'm really new to the whole bow hunting deal.
Im thinking about getting the RedHead Kronik bow(I get 40% off of all redhead products) and where i'm stuck is arrows. Which ones are good for this bow, my draw weight is 65#, length 28. I need arrows to hunt for deer, and would prefer to shoot carbons. I don't really have a price range, my parents take good care of me...when I have good grades

Thnks for all the help! - Chris
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kyhunter93
I'm really new to the whole bow hunting deal.
Im thinking about getting the RedHead Kronik bow(I get 40% off of all redhead products) and where i'm stuck is arrows. Which ones are good for this bow, my draw weight is 65#, length 28. I need arrows to hunt for deer, and would prefer to shoot carbons. I don't really have a price range, my parents take good care of me...when I have good grades

Thnks for all the help! - Chris
Problem about 65# is its in between most carbon arrow spines. Not saying a short 400 spine wouldn't work or a long 340. Is just the grandularity of aluminums are gone. With carbons, you don't have the choice of so many different spines. So to compensate that you have to use shaft length to adjust.

I wouldn't go below the price of ICS hunters myself. I feel these are lower quality arrows, but I used them for 4 years or more. I don't like the quality of these redhead brand or cabelas brand arrows. I realize they are outsourced to beman, but I have had trouble with them.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Okay. So if I do a 70# draw, I can go with a 400? I don't fully understand what vains and spines are.. Do your rests have any factor on arrows? I just need good arrows that I can shoot for target and shoot deer. What weight broadhead would I need? or is that personal preference as well?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

dude get the redhead arrows, yes they are outsourced by a major brand that just stamps redhead on it..usually the same companies arrows are right next to the redheads....
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kyhunter93
Okay. So if I do a 70# draw, I can go with a 400? I don't fully understand what vains and spines are.. Do your rests have any factor on arrows? I just need good arrows that I can shoot for target and shoot deer. What weight broadhead would I need? or is that personal preference as well?
I would drop 60lb espeically if new to archery. I dropped to 60lbs and been at it since 1984. If you get a 60-70lb bow, you adjust the bow to the arrow somewhat.

What you need is a good proshop to fit a bow to you. Help you tune it in. I can run numbers with computer programs and all and give you a ballpark estimate, but ultimately, it has to be honed in by the shooter.

I am jsut recommending you stay away from crap redhead arrows and such.

You can take a top notch bow and put a crap arrow in it and it will shoot like crap.

You can take a top notch arrow matched to low cost bow, and it can shoot great.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

I may be heading to BassPro in a little while. Thanks, guys.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I would drop 60lb espeically if new to archery. I dropped to 60lbs and been at it since 1984. If you get a 60-70lb bow, you adjust the bow to the arrow somewhat.

What you need is a good proshop to fit a bow to you. Help you tune it in. I can run numbers with computer programs and all and give you a ballpark estimate, but ultimately, it has to be honed in by the shooter.

I am jsut recommending you stay away from crap redhead arrows and such.

You can take a top notch bow and put a crap arrow in it and it will shoot like crap.

You can take a top notch arrow matched to low cost bow, and it can shoot great.

im shootin bullet holes with my redheads
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
im shootin bullet holes with my redheads
good, you seem to be happy. Go for it.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

im going to pickup the redheads tonight, just for the sake that they're cheaper. do i need to take my bow in when i get the arrows?