Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow setup? Please Help! >

Bow setup? Please Help!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow setup? Please Help!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow setup? Please Help!

Thank God I found this forum! Thanks in advance!!!!

I just bought a bow - Martin Saber (55#/70#). I purchased a Spot Hogg Hogg-it sight (nice). I has a mounted quiver (don't know the make). And, it has a Whisper biscuit I took off another bow (don't know the model).

Anyway, I have tried to set it up myself but am getting terrible results!! I checked the tiller adjustment and they both measured out at 8" (equal). The bow is set at approximately 65 lbs (based upon turns as I do not have a scale). The arrows are spined at 50/60. I have a bow square so I was able to place the nocking ring about an 1/8" high from square. I used the two holes on the riser for a reference point; just a small amount of light was showing on each of the holes as an arrow was nocked. From here I placed my peep sight 5 1/8" above the nocking ring. All this I figured would give me a good starting point from where to make finer adjustment, but NO! The immediate problem? I run out of sight adjustment as the bow shoots too low (shooting at 20 yards)! So far the only way I can get the arrow to the target is to place the nock ring about 1 below square but this looks funky! I'm sure some folks will recommend a Pro Bow shop (and that would make sense), but I do want to understand how these things work. I want someone to teach me how to fish rather than give me a fish! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I would start with your rest.Set it so the mounting backet is at a 45 degree angle and the rest straight up and down.Then I would set up your nock with your bow square by sticking it threw the whisker biscuit like you would an arrow.Then reset your peep to around 5" above center from the center of your arrow nock.this should bring you closer then you were.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

nys-buckstalker,
Thanks for the response. Soon after I posted my message I tore it all down and started again. Used the same process as I had before, however, this time I found my problem!! My problem involves a very large watermelon. More specifically, the one found on my shoulders. It seems between my posture, how I hold my head and the location of the peep sight took care of everything. I'm now shooting arrows into three inch circles at thirty yards; time for some fine tuning. Boy it feels good when something goes right!!! In fact it was your advise concerning squaring the sight that got me thinking of the angles involved.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by DROX
nys-buckstalker,
Thanks for the response. Soon after I posted my message I tore it all down and started again. Used the same process as I had before, however, this time I found my problem!! My problem involves a very large watermelon. More specifically, the one found on my shoulders. It seems between my posture, how I hold my head and the location of the peep sight took care of everything. I'm now shooting arrows into three inch circles at thirty yards; time for some fine tuning. Boy it feels good when something goes right!!! In fact it was your advise concerning squaring the sight that got me thinking of the angles involved.
For vertical adjustments with nocking point or rest height, my favorite method is bareshaft. Take a bareshaft and notice if its tail high or low. And move nocking point accordingly. Centering rest, I suggest walkback tuning.

Those two together, and you should have an excellent place to start Broadhead tuning.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
For vertical adjustments with nocking point or rest height, my favorite method is bareshaft. Take a bareshaft and notice if its tail high or low. And move nocking point accordingly. Centering rest, I suggest walkback tuning.

Those two together, and you should have an excellent place to start Broadhead tuning.
Thats good advice also big country,most shooters dont have the advantage of a paper holder to paper tune but bare shaft tuning work just as good,sometimes better.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
Thats good advice also big country,most shooters dont have the advantage of a paper holder to paper tune but bare shaft tuning work just as good,sometimes better.
You can make a paper tune target out of 2X4's in 15 min. But I don't use it anymore. It will get you ok close, but BH tuning and bareshaft is more senitive IMO.