Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow spine

Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default arrow spine

what is the difference between the difference arrow spines? What size arrows do you recommend for my setup? I shoot a 2005 Bowtech Tomkat 28 inch draw length and set at 60#s. I'm new to bowhunting so any help is appreciated. I am shooting some beaman 340 ics hawks 28 inch arrows. not sure bout the arrow length though. thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

BC...We need you!! Where are you oh great one????
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by constant
what is the difference between the difference arrow spines? What size arrows do you recommend for my setup? I shoot a 2005 Bowtech Tomkat 28 inch draw length and set at 60#s. I'm new to bowhunting so any help is appreciated. I am shooting some beaman 340 ics hawks 28 inch arrows. not sure bout the arrow length though. thanks.
You really need a lighter spine for that setup. Something like .4" spine. Start at 30" and tune and then you can start cutting if they are too weak. But 30" should be perfect for your setup. Any less and you may be too stiff.

340's at 28 are way stiff unless you are shooting 200gr heads which I do.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Arrow spine refers to how stiff the arrow is. To determine the spine a shaft is rested on two points 28 inches apart and a weight is hung from the center of that 28 inches. The amount of bend in the shaft determines the spine of the shaft.

A 300 spine arrow only flexes .3 inches where as a 500 spine arrow flexes a half inch. The more it flexes the weaker the spine.

The length at which you cut the arrow and the amount of weight at the tip and/or rear will also determine how stiff a certain arrow acts when actually shooting it from a bow. For instance, say you have two 400 spined shafts. You cut one of the shafts at 30 inches long and the other at 27 inches long. The longer shaft is going to act weaker than the shorter shaft when fired from a bow. If the 30 inch long shaft with a 125 grain tip reacts correctly for a particular set up then you would have to add weight to the front of the 27 inch long shaft in order to get the same amount of flex in the shaft when fired from a bow.

Also, disregard the numbers that are printed on most arrow shafts today. Most of them do not refer to the actual spine of the arrow shaft.

I hope this helps and wasn't too confusing.

As far as what you should be shooting I agree with BC.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

thanks for the help and explaining. helped out lots.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Spike

how would shooting an arrow with to stiff of a spine affect my shooting
Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally, you'll shoot too far to the right with a weak spine, and too far left with a stiff spine when shooting BH's as compared with FP's for a RH shooter and even with attempts to tune, the trend will stay the same. That being said, I did get a BT Tomkat 2005 model to BH tune with the same arrows I shoot out of my 70# bows, it just took a little very fine tuning.

Check out this link, page 11..... http://www.mnarchery.org/EastonBowTuningGuide.pdf

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 10-05-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
bigcountry

More horizontial issues than anything. Technically, if your form is perfect, I mean perfect, and the your cams are perfectly square with the bow, and your rest is perfectly centered, it doesn't matter. And its 10X more critical for us finger shooters.

With that setup, you will be more likely trying to move the rest too far towards the riser.

Problem is none of us or our bows are perfect.

340's at 28" are way too stiff however. Not even close.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Spike

gotcha. man there's alot more to bowhunting than i thought. i'm getting there thanks to yall. appreciate it.