Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Mark on vane-- HELP!! >

Mark on vane-- HELP!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mark on vane-- HELP!!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mark on vane-- HELP!!

Hey guys,

I'm shooting a Mission X4 at about 65#, 29 inch draw length with Beman 340s and some older Carbon Express cx300s through a wisker biscuit. The c ock fletch is up. I'm getting a mark on the right vane no matter what I do. I moved the rest all the way out to 7/8ths, so I don't think it's coming into contact with the cables or riser-- could this just be from the rest itself? I don't notice any wobble or fishtail and my broadheads are grouping pretty close to my fieldtips. Thoughts???
Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I get the same mark on the right fletch I am shooting a pse dream season at 63# My arrows and b-heads are flying beautiful but I went to a local archery guru and he said the mark is caused by the fletching already spinning and sometimes going through the black part of the biscuit i actually bought a drop away but he told me if things are shooting well don't mess with sucess and the bisquit his quite problem free he says he sees many drop aways that need repaired due to strings catching on brush etc during season and literally no probs w/ biscuits his advice if it isn't broke dont fix it
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guru who worked on my bow mentioned to me that the arrow won't actually start spinning til it gets 10 yards from your bow.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BUCKMARK
My guru who worked on my bow mentioned to me that the arrow won't actually start spinning til it gets 10 yards from your bow.
True. Go to youtube and watch some slow mo videos.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an X3. My WB is set at 13/16". C ock vane straight up. To me it looks like the henvane on the right side "should" hit the cables, yet I don't get a mark on the vane. It would not surprise me that your vane is hitting the cable(s).

I flipped the cable slide over and that moved both cables a little further away than the way it was installed from the factory. You could try that.

No the arrow is not spinning before the vanes clear the WB. As you were told, you probably don't even need to mess with this if you are getting good arrow flight.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Norbie,

Thanks for the info about the cable slide. I moved my rest back to 13/16 (7/8 seems ridiculous) and broadheads are flying really well. Is changing the cable slide something I can do myself or should I take it to the shop? It's shooting well right now, so maybe I'll just leave it alone...
Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rub some bright red lip stick on the vane that is getting the mark. If you are getting fletching contact with the cables there will be lip stick mark left on the cable.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was able to flip the slide myself. It was a little tricky though. I'm sure it would be easier if you back the limb bolts out a few turns.