Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Roller Guards vs. Slider >

Roller Guards vs. Slider

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Roller Guards vs. Slider

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Roller Guards vs. Slider

What is the difference between having roller guards or a slider on a bow? I noticed Mathews and Mission have both while almost all the other companies have a slider. Is one superior compared to the other? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

It is simply a different method of addressing the cables. Not necessarily any better or worse. You will find those that purport that one is superior to the other, but in all reality the differences are inconsequential.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 98Redline
It is simply a different method of addressing the cables. Not necessarily any better or worse. You will find those that purport that one is superior to the other, but in all reality the differences are inconsequential.
I tend to agree with this. I have a Martin FireCat with the common rod/slide and a 2009 Moab with the roller guard. Darned is I can see that much difference. In fact I lean more toward the conventional rod/slide simply because it's cheaper and simpler.

Break or damage a roller or wear one out and see what it costs. Break a slide and see how much less it costs and how much easier it is to replace.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only benefit that I can see is they allow a little more cable tension, which I would assume would allow for more stiff/rigid limbs, and theoretically, less recoil and vibration. Other than that, rollers eliminate the old problem of cable slide chattering, but so does a good cable slide.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My switchback XT had a roller guard and my mission journey has a slide ,I dont see any difference in the draw ,recoil,or the arrow speed.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
bigcountry

Slider is simple, and all that is needed IMO. But saying that, I have replaced several of mine with fancy 15 dollars cable guards. I can't see much of a difference. I do know that bowtechs old slider was junk. You could eat thru them in short order.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rollers induce torque as do slides , but slides are less , making them easier to broadhead tune .
Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

One of the things I like about the rollers is it is easier on the strings running through them vs. sliders. Not that big of a deal though since by the time I see wear on my strings with a slide , the strings are due to be changed anyway.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A *good* slide and rod setup is the way to go, IMO. Rollerguards offer no real benefit, and are mostly a "hype" cure for an imaginary problem. On a well designed riser, A slide and rod works just fine. For the most part a RG introduces another problem- more inherent torque in the entire bow system. The new Hoyt system on the Maxxis is about the only one where I have not noticed "RG torque" when drawing/shooting the bow.