Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Cutting arrow with chop saw? >

Cutting arrow with chop saw?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cutting arrow with chop saw?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

Default Cutting arrow with chop saw?

Is it safe to cut carbon arrows with a 6500 rpm chop saw? If so which type of blade? Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Spike

Not sure if this will help you but here is what I use to cut my arrows. I got this at Harbor Frieght for $28 dollars.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting arrow with chop saw?-saw1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jellio5
Not sure if this will help you but here is what I use to cut my arrows. I got this at Harbor Frieght for $28 dollars.
what type of cutting wheel do you use
Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

6500? Not familiar wth a saw like that, 3500 but not 6500. I don't even know what blades are used for it. A 3500 with a good 40 T thin Kerf carbide blade and a backer board works flawlessly. Been doing it that way for years.

Be very sure what ever blade you stick in that thing can turn at 6500, most standard blades can not and serious injury will most likely occur.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one from harbor freight would work great...I use a cheap dremal tool from them and works fine.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

What ever you use invest in a G5 A.S.D. (Arrow Squaring Device) A very important tool for making your own arrows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBtY4nz8sE

Last edited by glockman55; 09-24-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool cutting disk?

When I tried to use the Harbor Freight saw, I had problems with the disk that came with the saw. I did better with a 3" X 1/32" disk, but I don't know if it would hold up to 6400 rpm. At that speed, you should be able to make a 1/16" disk work. I had quite a bit of trouble with the Harbor Freight saw leaving long whiskers on the down side when trying to use it as a chop saw. I have had much more success using a Dremel tool with a flex shaft, and using a 1.5" diamond wheel disk. It cuts much better, and much cleaner than the HF saw did. I has much more power. I just had to make a jig to adjust the arrow length, and make sure the arrow was solidly in a grooved guard to prevent it from angling into the blade too much. The G5 ASD is a great tool to make sure the ends are squared and trued up. I have also used a .243 Winchester case neck trimmer to square up the ends on standard ICS carbon shafts.