Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Question about arrow weight >

Question about arrow weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about arrow weight

Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question about arrow weight

Ok, I have a question regarding arrow weight. I’ve used the search engine and I couldn’t find what I was looking for, maybe I overlooked it or something. But I’ve considered going up to a heavier broadhead for this hunting season. I currently shoot 90gr expandable broadheads with a 400 gr Easton Epic Arrow at 29” long, 2” quick spins, and my bow is set at 70#. I’m considering jumping up to a 125 gr cut on contact broadhead. I thought there was a table that would help determine the optimal weight for an arrow based on the poundage a persons bow was. Am I wrong in thinking there is one?? I really don’t want to waste my time jumping up in weight if its going to effect my arrow flight. Can someone direct me to the any table or reference guide or let me know if Im wasting my time? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by The Outdoorsman; 09-01-2009 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Change info
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Acher's Advantage

Shoot me a PM (as a reminder) and I'll put your stuff in Archer's Advantage tonight. It's not the answer to everything but it should organize the weight info/foc/spine nicely.

Kevin
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What bow?
What is your draw length?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Jennings Buckmaster at 28" draw length.

kwilson19-pm sent
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Spike

Get some 125gr field tips and try. Only cost a buck or two at the most to try it for yourself.

IMO you should be fine. That bow was a very forgiving model and not overly harsh so you should do just fine. I shot one just like it back in the day with lighter shafts and no issues. I made 14 shots, 14 kills with it. Never missed a shot. I liked that bow...once I took a belt sander to the grip.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dryridge2
Get some 125gr field tips and try. Only cost a buck or two at the most to try it for yourself.

IMO you should be fine. That bow was a very forgiving model and not overly harsh so you should do just fine. I shot one just like it back in the day with lighter shafts and no issues. I made 14 shots, 14 kills with it. Never missed a shot. I liked that bow...once I took a belt sander to the grip.
I like the bow too, has served me well over the years. I do have some 125 FP's, just wanted to get some advice off of here before I went and shot tomorrow. Right now is when I buckle down and focus in on form, accuracy, etc before season starts and this year I got a burr up my butt to possibly switch something on it and dont want to waste much time with it if its going to be a hassle for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Well I shot last nite with the 125 gr FP's on and all seemed well. I was surprised that I didnt have to adjust my pins at all. Even at 30yds, I have what I feel is a better arrow flight from that distance than before.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Spike

Glad to hear it Mike. Looks like you are set. Hard to change when all is well.