Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Took my string decelerator (stopper) off. Will I damage my bow? >

Took my string decelerator (stopper) off. Will I damage my bow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Took my string decelerator (stopper) off. Will I damage my bow?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default Took my string decelerator (stopper) off. Will I damage my bow?

I have a Bear Lights Out that comes with a string stopper from the factory. After switching to a lighter arrow (Easton Flatline) my bow got louder. I was hearing the string pop the stopper. I bought a string decelerator kit from limbsaver and the noise was louder. Finally, I took both off and tried a couple of small strings and now my bow is quieter than ever. Will I cause any damage to my bow shooting it without a string stopper/decelerator or is it something I can do without?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so long as you took the whole rod off and not just the rubber stopper. As long as that bar isn't there to impale your string you are totally fine.

I have messed with a lot of STS and related systems... there are bows they work wonders on, but they aren't quite the silver bullet most people think they are. Plenty of bows where they only make them louder.... you can mess with the distance between the string and the stopper all you want.... doesn't make a difference.

Your bow should be just fine without it. Go tear it up bubba.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. As long as you took the works off you'll be OK. To be truthful these string stoppers have only been around a couple years. Compound bows have been around since about 1970 and none damaged for the lack of a string stopper (dampener). They have some advantages, but are not a necessary piece of gear on any bow.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

I appreciate the info fellas. I did take the whole string dampener off, rod and rubber stopper.