Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

draw weight ?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
byg
Spike

Default draw weight ?

If I adjust my draw weight from 63lbs to the max 70, will it mess
with my peep alignment,nock point etc...It's to close to the season to screw up everything. Its a bear element single cam bow. Forgive me if this has been asked,could find the thread
Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

no it will not mess up those things but u will need to adjust sights
Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive never had it happen
Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Spike

It'll take a little tweaking. Do you really think it will be a great advantage over the 63#?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
byg
Spike

Probobaly not,but I thought that bows were more (for a lack of a better word) better performing at the maximum draw weight. I can draw 63lbs comfortably so I thought I would try it out and maybe gain alittle speed. I gave it one complete turn on the limb
bolts, its still not bottomed out, but the draw sure is alittle stronger,it might just be me but the arrows seem alittle quicker down range,stayed in tune nothing out of wack
Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by byg
Probobaly not,but I thought that bows were more (for a lack of a better word) better performing at the maximum draw weight. I can draw 63lbs comfortably so I thought I would try it out and maybe gain alittle speed. I gave it one complete turn on the limb
bolts, its still not bottomed out, but the draw sure is alittle stronger,it might just be me but the arrows seem alittle quicker down range,stayed in tune nothing out of wack
byg,

Yes, bows do perform better at their maximum, but it's maybe a fraction of a percentage point in efficiency. They're usually a little more quiet at max, but again, the difference isn't great.
It's certainly not worth it to jack the weight up for these concerns.

Here are some of the problems you might run into by turning the weight up right now. For one, your bo/arrow combination will most likely be retuned. You may even find that your arrows are not stiff enough and you'll need to buy stiffer arrows, then start tuning all over again. Another is that you may lose a lot of accuracy just due to your not being used to the extra weight---7# or more is quite a change for your muscles to adapt to so quickly. 3rd--you might not gain any speed. If you have to get a stiffer, heavier arrow speed may stay the same or even go down. You will gain some very unnecessary kinetic energy that might be wasted if you can't place an arrow where it needs to be.

My advice would be, at this close proximity to hunting season, to leav the bow alone. If you can draw 63# easily then accept the fact that this is how it's supposed to be. And it is the way it's supposed to be---better for accuracy.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
byg
Spike

BG, Thanks for the informitive points, I believe there isnt much to gain cranking it up. It shoots well and is very quiet as is.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Spike

Default RE: Element Poundage

Just wanted to chime in here. I have the 50-60# version of your bow. Mine is set on 57# and killed three deer with it last year. I use Muzzy broadheads and had no problem with clean passthrough on 57#, so I think that you are fine where your at. Good luck this year
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seven pounds doesn't sound like much, but this will definitely weaken your arrow and may force you to buy a stiffer arrow shaft. You will need to start from scratch and retune with the proper arrow for the additional weight compared to your draw length.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by byg
BG, Thanks for the informitive points, I believe there isnt much to gain cranking it up. It shoots well and is very quiet as is.
Good choice, IMO. If you want to start playing around with it then that's what January thru August is for. If you don't know or are just learning what to do then this is no time for dicking around with a setup that works well for you.

Once you get more experience under your belt you'll be able to make changes and/or change back in a matter of a couple hours. Till then all you'll be doing is confusing yourself and get frustrated.

Go hunting and be happy for now.