Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Getting a noisy shot! String leeches?? >

Getting a noisy shot! String leeches??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Getting a noisy shot! String leeches??

Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Getting a noisy shot! String leeches??

I put on all Limbsaver products: X-coil, Super Quads, and string decelerator. I am getting a vibration noise when the string hits the decelerator. I am gently popping the string to listen for the sound, and it is at the decelerator. It is quieter when I pop the string without the string decelerator. Does this sound like I need string leeches? Does anyone shoot without a string decelerator? Pros/Cons???
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all make sure you are just touching your decelerator, if you're too far from the string or too close it will make a popping noise. Second of all I have tried all the string silencers on the market, when tied correctly whiskers are to me far superior and safer than anything on the market. Just make sure they are cut short and look like a round puff when done right.

This is the only way to tie on whiskers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNx...eature=related
There are many that teach other ways, but this is the best way!!

Last edited by The Rev; 08-19-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Rev
First of all make sure you are just touching your decelerator, if you're too far from the string or too close it will make a popping noise. Second of all I have tried all the string silencers on the market, when tied correctly whiskers are to me far superior and safer than anything on the market. Just make sure they are cut short and look like a round puff when done right.

This is the only way to tie on whiskers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNx...eature=related
There are many that teach other ways, but this is the best way!!
and does that work as well as tying the whole thing to the string? I feel like that small of whiskers wouldn't work as well but you obviously are more experienced than I
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by natimage
and does that work as well as tying the whole thing to the string? I feel like that small of whiskers wouldn't work as well but you obviously are more experienced than I
Oh yes, it works better. One thing, when you tie on the whole thing it will show down your speed. I've been doing this for years. I have an old 03 VTF Extreme that has a Mean V, Bowtech limb savers on the limbs, and whiskers. This bow is quieter than any new bow on the market, I also shoot real heavy (543 gn.) that helps a lot too.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

'03 VFT! I'm shooting one too! Gotta love it! Oh yeah, whiskers are the way to go. I don't have a decelerator but its quiet enough without.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
'03 VFT! I'm shooting one too! Gotta love it! Oh yeah, whiskers are the way to go. I don't have a decelerator but its quiet enough without.
I have a faster bow and newer bow, but that VTF is really quiet.