Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to quiet my bow more? >

How to quiet my bow more?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to quiet my bow more?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to quiet my bow more?

I shoot a Bear lights out, LOVE it and it has been very quiet since I bought it but for some reason (and maybe I'm just noticing it more) it seems to be louder than normal recently. I have a stabilizer and cat whiskers on it. I went through with an allen wrench and tightened everything I could tighten and I still have the problem. I tried some of the SIMS limb silencers for split-limbs and when their in I don't think it's quieter I just hear more of a twang than a thunk. I'm not sure what could be twanging, I don't have any leeches or anything on my cables but they don't twang when the limb quads aren't in. Any thoughts? I'd sacrifice a little speed if I can get my bow quieter.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Spike

A lot of people are saying that the factory strings and cables on Bear bows are very low quality. I would think about changing to some better ones and then maybe adding some String Leeches. Also, try swapping out your stabilizer for a Sims S-Coil. One more thought.....do you have a quiver attached to your bow? That could be making noise as well, and Sims makes little tabs to put on a quiver to quiet it down. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

It's funny you say that because I was literally just looking at different string sites to try and figure out what to put on. The big reason I want a nicer string is so I can use a tubeless peep. When I said stabilizer I should have specified. I already have an S-coil on the bow. It's only recently it's been loud and I've only had it since January so I can't imagine the strings have gone bad this quickly, and it's a little too close to season for me to put new strings on at this point.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Spike

Hold your bow by the grip and pound on it up and down both sides, top to bottom with the side of your other fist....the meaty part below your pinky. Listen for rattles. Then, hold it by the bottom limbs and pound around the grip/riser area. Now repeat holding by the top limbs. Did you hear a rattle? Pay particular attention around the axles on each end. If you find a rattle identify the source and fix it.It may require putting it in a press to fix it.

If this doesn't return any rattles, I would put new whiskers on the string and cable. But if you are already looking at new and can afford the good stuff, put Winners Choice on it and then see what you think.

Most often a new twang is something loose or a loose/broken serving or actual string material itself broken under serving. It shouldn't just start twanging for no reason.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

make sure your cam is properly indexed , and a heavier arrow allways makes a bow quieter