Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Twisting The String And Cables >

Twisting The String And Cables

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Twisting The String And Cables

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Twisting The String And Cables

Hello All,

Just want to make sure I have this right. My bow should have a max draw weight of 70lbs. Right now it's only about 63lbs. To correct, I need to add twists to the cable, right?

I have the 29 inch draw length module installed, but it seems to have stretched a bit. To correct, I need to add twists to the string, right? Please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

Thanks a bunch,
Axel

PS: Bow is a 2005 Bear Omni Pro, single cam
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Spike

Yes, that is right in theory. However, your bow may never have shot 70 at 29" if it goes up to 30 or 31 inches. Also, if it has stretched that much your draw length would be longer as well. Is it?

You can do what you want, but I don't think that I would dare twist an older cable enough to add 7lbs of draw wt to it. Could be asking for it to blow.

Also you must add twists to the string side as well.

Twisting the cable will change the draw force curve of the bow by adding preload to the system. You will have to set the tiller and timing and generally retune it when you are done. Nothing will be as it was, your nockset will be off, peep, kisser, everything.

It will be less drastic a change if it is a small idler single cam system, which I think it is.

Best practice. Go get new string/cable put on it.

Hope this helps,

Dryridge
Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Spike

Well, I just got off te phone with Escalade Sports, and they looked up the specs for my bow. Turns out my bow is only slightly out of spec. ATA should be 33, mine is 33 1/16. BH should be 7 3/4, mine is about 7 11/16. Why my bow is only offering 63 lbs draw weight is beyond me. Guess I'll just have to live with it.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with dryridge on this as well.Get new rigging on that bow,it is time.Your specs show that some stretching has occured.

If you are SURE the bow was a 70# bow.Like Dryridge said,it may not peak at 70 at your draw length but it should get close.

If it won't get close,then there might be a limb issue causing it.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Spike

I would say it is the draw length....is this a module system? Also is this a quad limb bow?
lastly, does it have a yoke/harness system (a y shape split of the cable or a V shape short piece and seperate cable at the top) ? I am guessing Y split.

If it is a module system, this low poundage is not that uncommon and if it would happen to have a short yoke/seperate cable, your yoke could be stretched. I have seen this on Hoyts before (rare). I am gonna chalk this up to a moderate priced bow and cam module system that does not allow for retention of the original draw force curve with changes of the cam module (which is very hard to do and takes lots of costly design work reserved for top end bows)

Besides that....63 is plenty for anything besides dangerous game.

You can always take it to a GOOD bow shop that can add twists, or most likely a new shorter string/cable system (or yoke if it has one, but I am doubting it does) and add enough preload (STRESS) to the limbs to get that 70# you are seeking out of it.

Before doing anything that could blow it up (and the above could) you might want to call Bear and see what they say, maybe they will authorize a return and get you some new parts on your bow. Never know till you try!

Sorry this post is actually backwards....sometimes I have to walk myself through the issue to!!

Good Luck Fla. Outlander. Let us know what Bear Says or You Decide to do.

Last edited by dryridge2; 08-15-2009 at 12:54 AM.