Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Velocity Increase from Tuning >

Velocity Increase from Tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Velocity Increase from Tuning

Old 08-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Velocity Increase from Tuning

I spent some time walk back tuning the Captain yesterday. Mostly working with the left-right adjustment. In the end, I made a very small (1/16") adjustment towards the riser and the arrows are falling in a nice vertical column. Groups tightened a little bit too.

Here's the weird part: velocity went up 4 fps. I shot a lot of arrows through the chrono to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Do you think that tuning can increase velocity this much? Or, do you think it is just a chrono variance?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kwilson16
I spent some time walk back tuning the Captain yesterday. Mostly working with the left-right adjustment. In the end, I made a very small (1/16") adjustment towards the riser and the arrows are falling in a nice vertical column. Groups tightened a little bit too.

Here's the weird part: velocity went up 4 fps. I shot a lot of arrows through the chrono to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Do you think that tuning can increase velocity this much? Or, do you think it is just a chrono variance?
Absolutely it can increase. With a badly spined arrow or a rest out of square, you are wasting some energy. But with the arrow coming out dead square, all the energy is straight ahead. In fact, sometimes tiller tuning (which I don't do anymore) can result in increase of 5fps.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you do tiller tuning anymore?
And, how does it relate to cam timing?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kwilson16
Why don't you do tiller tuning anymore?
And, how does it relate to cam timing?
It takes a lot of work. Cam timing is one thing, and your limbs slamming home at the exact same time is another. If you got both timed, its a beautiful thing. I am not talking about what Arthur P put up there. When i say tiller tune I mean take a 1/4 turn out here and there and group tune and use you hearing to think if it made a difference. Each time you take out a turn, you have to readjust nocking point. I have seen some actually use a hooter shooter to do this.

But I have made up my mind, I am a hunter. If I can pull off 3" group at 30 yards, I am happy.