Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow Poundage problem!!?? >

Bow Poundage problem!!??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Poundage problem!!??

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Poundage problem!!??

I got a question for some of you techies! I am shooting a 70lb Martin Jaguar Magnum that is 9-10yrs old. It was shot for the most part at 64lbs.

It is at the pro-shop right now with new cables on it, the strings might have 100-150shots through them? I asked him to check the pull weight on it and he said its at 64lbs? I asked him if it was for sure bottomed out and he said yes the limbs wont move anymore? I did crank the bow down before I took it to him and when I dropped it off before the new cables it was only pulling 62lbs??!!

Haha he is tryng to tell me I have a 60lb bow. I assured him that my bow is 70lbs, I know what I bought even thought the bow info is rubbed off? He says he can twist the cable and get me another 2-3lbs out of it and that my limbs are probably weakened??

Is there something I am missing?

PS: I know I should have gotten the cables the same time as the strings but I was tying to pinch a dollar?!!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is everything "in spec.???" Does the BH meet what it is supposed to, is the axle-to-axle correct, if so, then it may be an issue of worn out limbs, if not, you need to get things into "spec." before even trying to guess what the max poundage is.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Is everything "in spec.???" Does the BH meet what it is supposed to, is the axle-to-axle correct, if so, then it may be an issue of worn out limbs, if not, you need to get things into "spec." before even trying to guess what the max poundage is.

Haha you know what I do not know? That is why I take it to him, it is the brother of one of the best bow tech's in the area but he moved so I am hoping that if he knows half of what his brother did he should be able to figure it out??

Although he didnt even mention about checking ANY of that stuff!! Thanks for the tip, I will have him check it out more when I go to pick it up tommorow or sat??
Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by WesternMdHardwoods
Haha you know what I do not know? That is why I take it to him, it is the brother of one of the best bow tech's in the area but he moved so I am hoping that if he knows half of what his brother did he should be able to figure it out??

Although he didnt even mention about checking ANY of that stuff!! Thanks for the tip, I will have him check it out more when I go to pick it up tommorow or sat??
He might be partly right, but you can twist up those cables to get to at least 67lbs. Have him check the Axle to Axle, there can be 1/4 slop there. Big thing is to make sure the string length (under tension). The string length is important.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

Is this the guys on backbone mountain?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Is this the guys on backbone mountain?

Big you got a PM!!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Spike

I am waiting to see the answer to BigCountry's question. I know the Skeevhoris(sp?) boys very well. Used to hunt the Beechwood Club.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dryridge2
I am waiting to see the answer to BigCountry's question. I know the Skeevhoris(sp?) boys very well. Used to hunt the Beechwood Club.
Is that the club off of Tablerock and Kempton Roads? He hunts over there.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:15 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dryridge2
Those boys seem to know thier stuff, I stop in there a lot during turkey season, and watched him fixing up bows. Seems to do quality work.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I found the specs to my bow and called him up to have him check it out.....

My ATA Spec is 33 1/4" and it measures at 33 5/16" just a 16th of an inch long..

My BH Spec is 6 3/4" and it was just under he said at almost 6 11/16"...

He did twist the cables and got me to 66lbs??

I think this is going to be about the best it can get too!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.