Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Cable wear on 08 pse dream season x-force >

Cable wear on 08 pse dream season x-force

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable wear on 08 pse dream season x-force

Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cable wear on 08 pse dream season x-force

I'm having excessive cable wear down toward the lower cam. I took it to the proshop and the guy said its a speed bow its normal because of the violent action . I explained to him that I bought it from him less than a year ago and it shouldn't have worn that quickly, he recommended that I get a new string and cables. Is this normal with the x-forces to do this or am I getting the run around. No abnormal use was done to the bow for it is treated like one of my kids. Any help would be great. Lou
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Spike

Kind of depends on how much you shoot it?

However, I knew when I first saw those things that cam lean would be a problem. Those limbs flex way too much and they really don't have any of the newer systems that showed up this year to combat that. Like the gadgets on the Ross bows and the Monster by Mathews.

I would call it "abnormally normal". Cam lean is ABNORMAL in that it isn't something you want, but it is pretty common on the big one cams. That said, I would say NORMAL with these bows because I am sure it is gonna happen with those hyper flexing limbs and that big cam.

So in my humble opinion the guy is right. It is normal wear with that much "Violent Action". There is alway a price for hyper speed. If you drive your car fast in the turns you replace more tires and brakes. Same thing. That string is your tire and brakes all in one. It is the traction on the cam and it takes the sudden stop.

I would try an aftermarket string. Pick one of the top brands (I will admit I am not up on the latest and bestest in strings and cables. I am sure someone can chime in here that knows.)

I gotta tell you I shot one with a little help (my shoulders are shot) and it was awesome. The delayed shock it produced was like nothing I ever shot before. However, the owner of the largest bow shop in the state told me stopped letting folks testfire them because of severe arm injuries from string burn....I heard one required a skin graft. even after installing string stoppers. That tells me that of course the brace height is short , but so are lots of fast bows....but it also tells me that those limbs are reflexing then deflexing so far at the shot that it is allowing the string to whip forward. I would also venture that seeing that in slow motion video would reveal the string actually working the cam a couple inches in reverse (or forward) motion. This would indeed cause even more wear on the bottom 4 inches of string as it rotates back onto the cam and off again. AND...it would answer the reason for the delayed reaction of hand shock. I don't know about the rest of you but as an archery mechanic and self proclaimed bow nut that just blew my mind.

Sorry, long as usual, but yep, I'd say your are looking at about $75 a year maintenence cost on that bow if you shoot it alot. But afterall, isn't that what they are for!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would say he is correct. Speed comes at a cost and wear and tear on the cables as they come off of the Cams is a problem.