Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need help on arrow length >

Need help on arrow length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help on arrow length

Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help on arrow length

I just bought a month ago my new 09 DXT, but decided to use my same arrows, which are Beman MAX-4 400's (9.6gpi). My new DXT has a Trophy Taker drop away on it but when I draw, my arrow still is extended like 2.5-3" past the rest. This cant be right can it? Should i take them in to get cut? If so, how far past the rest should they be at full draw? Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I usually have mine cut around 1/2" to less than my draw length. I want it to extend about 1" past the rest.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Mine is past the rest about 1 inch. Make sure the spine is right for your set up first before cutting it. The shorter you cut it the stiffer the spine becomes.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

since you have a drop away you want to make sure the arrow is coming up BEFORE the tip passes the front of the riser. If not, you won't even be able to use a mechanical head without popping the arrow off the string. ( I learned this the hard way. My shop cut my arrows to short.........then i had to have the rest retimed, which put more pressure on my cables than i wanted........was a frustrating ordeal)

normally the arrow tip is 1.5 - 2 inches in front of the rest.

good luck
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

Mine is 2 inches front of rest and shoots fine.