HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Braodheads to stay away from? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/29603-braodheads-stay-away.html)

kreg 05-04-2003 04:19 PM

Braodheads to stay away from?

I' ve seen posts on broadheads people use, but does anyone have any suggestions on what broadheads NOT to use, like you had bad experiences with them? Thanks

bigbulls 05-04-2003 04:38 PM

RE: Braodheads to stay away from?

Expandables on anythung larger than deer!!! Unless you are cranking some serious KE. Like around 75 to 80 pounds.

nub 05-04-2003 06:16 PM

There was a couple of interesting broadhead threads over in the Bowhunting forum. :D Crimson Talons and Slick Tricks were the topic. I' ve never used either one so can' t speak from experience. Theres a new(?) mech head being discussed over there to I believe. You can find 5 shots tests here. http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

5 shot 05-04-2003 06:43 PM

Anything made by Satellite and Puckets blood trailers are two that pop right out. The new Razorback did poorly as well as the " ultimate steel" . All of this is based on my test results only, but with so many heads that did well I can' t see the need to use a head that does poorly.

Orions_Bow 05-04-2003 09:12 PM

I am not a big fan of the satellites either. I also do not care for the Spitfire (great machining, & high quality BUT I feel it takes too much eneergy to open the blades and yields poor penetration on large deer) Please note this is based on my experience, I know a lot of guys who use them with great luck. They just didn' t work for me & what I expect from a broadhead. I also would never trust any broadhead with it' s blades fixed in plastic! That to me is just asking for trouble!

DaveH 05-05-2003 01:01 AM

Cabela' s Pro Lazer Mags are currently a poorly made broadhead. I used to use them, but they began to decrease the quality in order to keep the price low. They pretty much suck now.

JRW 05-05-2003 01:37 PM

Anything with plastic or nylon, like the NAP Razorbak. Personally, I think the Bear Razorheads are junk too. There are FAR too many cut-on-impact heads on the market to mess with weak and fragile designs. As far as durability is concerned, I' m no big fan of Steelforce either.

CG 05-05-2003 02:17 PM

GameTracker Silvertip Mechs.......Garbage........

mlj64 05-05-2003 09:29 PM

5Shot
What are your criticisms of the ultimate steel? I saw them recently...a friend had bought some with the intention of using them later this year. He used snypers last year without any complaint. My " first glance" impressions were that these are a fixed blade version of a steelhead with what appears to be a smaller cutting diameter. Just curious.
Thanks, Mark.

c903 05-05-2003 11:32 PM

DaveH:

My three hunting partners and I have used the early Cabela Lazer Pro Mag for several seasons, and the new Lazer Supreme Broadheads last year. We have had great success with the heads and have always found the flight and accuracy to be very good.

Of the deer we have taken with the heads, the hits have been devastating and the blades were never broken or dislodged. No deer have been lost using the heads. On several deer, hard bone was hit and broken or penetrated, and the ferrule and blades remained intact.

In your opinion, what has changed with the heads since last October? What bad results have you had with the heads? If I am convinced the quality of the Cabela heads have degraded, I have time to test some new brands for flight and accuracy.

The lower cost of the heads combined with the superb performance has made the head a fantastic buy.