HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Braodheads to stay away from? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/29603-braodheads-stay-away.html)

kreg 05-04-2003 04:19 PM

Braodheads to stay away from?

I' ve seen posts on broadheads people use, but does anyone have any suggestions on what broadheads NOT to use, like you had bad experiences with them? Thanks

bigbulls 05-04-2003 04:38 PM

RE: Braodheads to stay away from?

Expandables on anythung larger than deer!!! Unless you are cranking some serious KE. Like around 75 to 80 pounds.

nub 05-04-2003 06:16 PM

There was a couple of interesting broadhead threads over in the Bowhunting forum. :D Crimson Talons and Slick Tricks were the topic. I' ve never used either one so can' t speak from experience. Theres a new(?) mech head being discussed over there to I believe. You can find 5 shots tests here. http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

5 shot 05-04-2003 06:43 PM

Anything made by Satellite and Puckets blood trailers are two that pop right out. The new Razorback did poorly as well as the " ultimate steel" . All of this is based on my test results only, but with so many heads that did well I can' t see the need to use a head that does poorly.

Orions_Bow 05-04-2003 09:12 PM

I am not a big fan of the satellites either. I also do not care for the Spitfire (great machining, & high quality BUT I feel it takes too much eneergy to open the blades and yields poor penetration on large deer) Please note this is based on my experience, I know a lot of guys who use them with great luck. They just didn' t work for me & what I expect from a broadhead. I also would never trust any broadhead with it' s blades fixed in plastic! That to me is just asking for trouble!

DaveH 05-05-2003 01:01 AM

Cabela' s Pro Lazer Mags are currently a poorly made broadhead. I used to use them, but they began to decrease the quality in order to keep the price low. They pretty much suck now.

JRW 05-05-2003 01:37 PM

Anything with plastic or nylon, like the NAP Razorbak. Personally, I think the Bear Razorheads are junk too. There are FAR too many cut-on-impact heads on the market to mess with weak and fragile designs. As far as durability is concerned, I' m no big fan of Steelforce either.

CG 05-05-2003 02:17 PM

GameTracker Silvertip Mechs.......Garbage........

mlj64 05-05-2003 09:29 PM

5Shot
What are your criticisms of the ultimate steel? I saw them recently...a friend had bought some with the intention of using them later this year. He used snypers last year without any complaint. My " first glance" impressions were that these are a fixed blade version of a steelhead with what appears to be a smaller cutting diameter. Just curious.
Thanks, Mark.

c903 05-05-2003 11:32 PM

DaveH:

My three hunting partners and I have used the early Cabela Lazer Pro Mag for several seasons, and the new Lazer Supreme Broadheads last year. We have had great success with the heads and have always found the flight and accuracy to be very good.

Of the deer we have taken with the heads, the hits have been devastating and the blades were never broken or dislodged. No deer have been lost using the heads. On several deer, hard bone was hit and broken or penetrated, and the ferrule and blades remained intact.

In your opinion, what has changed with the heads since last October? What bad results have you had with the heads? If I am convinced the quality of the Cabela heads have degraded, I have time to test some new brands for flight and accuracy.

The lower cost of the heads combined with the superb performance has made the head a fantastic buy.

5 shot 05-06-2003 03:44 AM

My big problem with the Ultimate steel is that the blades break at the rear tab and fall out under heavy impact. Heck I even lost one blade shooting into the Block target. I made sure I put the heads together properly and still lost blades.

PABowhntr 05-06-2003 05:23 AM

...throw in the Cabelas Lazer Exterminators as well. I had the absolute worst performance with them. Little penetration and the blades did not open.
However, I see that they no longer have them in their catalog (received the 2003 Archery catalog yesterday). They do have a new expandable model that looks interesting though.

JOE PA 05-06-2003 06:01 AM

I don' t know what Dave H will say, but personally I have seen a difference between the first and last batch of Cabela' s heads. In each case, the models were the 100 gr. Super Lazer Pro Mags. The first set was great. The second set had washers that were too small to properly contain the tabs at the back of the blades. There was no way to tighten up the head and keep it aligned with the arrow. I ended up putting each washer carefully in a lathe and drilled them out to the correct size. Then there was no problem. Not a terrible problem, but they shouldn' t have come through that way, IMO.:(

Tosoro Hunter 05-06-2003 08:27 AM

Thanks guys great thread,
This should help me out picking my next Broadhead!

pup 05-07-2003 12:49 PM

5 shot. i was told by someone that it was only the first bach of the ultimate steel that the blades came off and that they have fixed the problem know. it this true?

bigbulls 05-07-2003 01:08 PM

I was kind of wondering that myself cause I always read and hear guys saying how strong they are.

5 shot 05-08-2003 03:21 AM

Pup, I have heard this from a one person over the internet, and now you have brought it up. I have tried to email rocket about this, and give them a chance to send some new heads, but the website is still down. As soon as I can I will contact them and get the facts. I would be more than happy to retest the heads, and if they do better I will report it, if not, I will report that also.

DaveH 05-08-2003 04:01 AM

c903

I used the Lazer Pro Mags for quite a few years with great success. They flew fairly well, were ALWAYS razor sharpand I liked the type of chisel tip they had--very steep angle. However, even though I had success with them last season, the blades would break nearly every time an animal was harvested, the ferrule usually was bent too and rendered useless and occassionally the tip even came off. Another big factor was that the heads would need constant attention to maintain a " true-spin" condition--it seemed that the mere act of taking them out and replacing them in the quiver a few times would cause them to acquire a slight wobble. This is something I never have experienced with any other head--including theirs--until the last few years.

c903 05-08-2003 07:28 AM

DaveH:

I Loc-Tite my blades into ferrule, so I have not noticed what you have described. However, on a couple of ferrules I use for practice that do not have the blades locked in, I have noticed that the blade channel on 1 or 2 ferrules did appear to have widened. Not much, but some. I scratched it off as caused by the repeated banging into targets and hard-foam deer targets.

I am going to measure the channels on the practice ferrules I have used.

I do not want to pay $70.00+ for heads!!!!!!!

bspittman 05-08-2003 08:16 AM

I' ve had trouble with the Spit-fires. Just like Orions said it takes too much to open them up. They are constructed well, but you have to shoot a lot of #' s for them to work.

DaveH 05-08-2003 11:14 PM

c903

I was using the Lazer Mags because of the price too, but the weak ferrule finally caused me to buy more expensive broadheads. However, $70 for blades is way too much to pay when you can get Muzzy' s or Thunderheads at Dick' s for $30 a 6/pack. On sale, they' re $5 less than that.