One thing thats kind of bugging me as I get on in years is that I REALLY DO NOT enjoy having the shortest arros possible and thus, broadhead blades, all that close to my hand. On my Alphamax which has a very small..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much does it hang over? >

How much does it hang over?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much does it hang over?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much does it hang over?

Your arrows that is..past your rest/launcher

One thing thats kind of bugging me as I get on in years is that I REALLY DO NOT enjoy having the shortest arros possible and thus, broadhead blades, all that close to my hand.

On my Alphamax which has a very small grip (with the wood grip off) and small shelf, Ive actually felt the blazers "tick" my index finger near it's base (between first knuckle and middle knuckle of the finger). While I generally shoot mechanicals, the thought of a steelhead or rage blade "ticking" my index finger scares the crap out of me. At the current length, it would put the blades right over that finger at full draw.

So, I came to the conclusion I'd be adding about an inch to my arrow length when I get new arrows (which actually works out well, as I can prolly stick with Maxima Select 350s and spine out OK).

Anyone else have quite a bit of overhang or do you cut em as close as possible to the launcher?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much does it hang over?

I like to have them with the broadhead past the shelf. I think its to do with my days of shooting fingers off a flipper rest and having the occasional arrow come off the rest because I was pinching it. Don't want that broadhead falling onto my hand or arm!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

I use a TKO drop away rest, my arrows are only 1/4" past my prongs at full draw.I did not have the arrows cut this short
some youn tech at scheels did about 4 yrs ago. I didn'nt know any better at the time, just getting into bowhunting.I
shoot a small broadhead and a small diameter arrow because if I don't the blades on a average size head will catch on
the shelf of the bow when drawn back. I have shot a lot of deer with this set up buit it is a mite short.My draw lenght is
28" my arrow measures 263/4". Oh ya Jeff if you shoot a bow as good as you strum a quitar you have to be a world class
archer.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jag-mag

I use a TKO drop away rest, my arrows are only 1/4" past my prongs at full draw.I did not have the arrows cut this short
some youn tech at scheels did about 4 yrs ago. I didn'nt know any better at the time, just getting into bowhunting.I
shoot a small broadhead and a small diameter arrow because if I don't the blades on a average size head will catch on
the shelf of the bow when drawn back. I have shot a lot of deer with this set up buit it is a mite short.My draw lenght is
28" my arrow measures 263/4". Oh ya Jeff if you shoot a bow as good as you strum a quitar you have to be a world class
archer.
Have you heard my playing Jag?

I'd say my guitar playing is like my accuracy- I have my moments, but most of the time I suck

Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now, my arrows hang over the rest about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2. I purposely did this years ago, per Easton tuning guide recommendations. I don't know what difference it makes, I just did it that way and haven't changed since.

It'll be interesting to see this year as I'm going back to fixed heads. I'm tired of the mechanicals and want to get back to the basics. Muzzy 100's for me.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You gonna shoot the old Muzzy 100s or those new MX heads?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, ya know, it's crossed my mind to use the new heads. But, I have about a dozen brand new standard heads I had left over when I switched to mechs for a while. I think I'll wait, shoot what I have, and see how they group. Last year, for the heck of it, I shot them in the backyard and they flew and grouped very well.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 29" DL and the shortest shaft I shoot is 29". My main deer hunting arrow has a shaft length of 30".
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

On my 29.5" bow my I shot a 28.5" arrow which placed the broadhead near the end of the shelf. On my new 30" Switchback that places the insert of the arrow 1/4" past the prongs which are even with the back of the rest. If I overdraw it I could probably pull the arrow thru the rest. I'm going to have 29" arrows made this week. They will still put the broad head on the shelf rather than hanging over it, but I like to shoot as short of an arrow as possible.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

My broadheads come to the front edge of the shelf.

Quick Reply: How much does it hang over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.