Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which vanes to use? >

Which vanes to use?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which vanes to use?

Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Which vanes to use?

I' m going to put together some new Beman ACS arrows and wanted some recomendations between the Arizona, Bohning, or Easton plastic vanes. I' m switching from feathers to vanes this year. The glue I' ve used in the past is Bohning Bond-tite. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:02 AM

Default RE: Which vanes to use?

Bohning vanes are relatively heavy duty and seem to last really well. I use bond-tite to fletch most plastic vanes to carbon. If you go with the AAE vanes or similar types, they have a reactant already on the vane. In that case fast-set gel works pretty well.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my experience, the Eastons and the Arizona are basically the same fletching. Except the arizona don' t have an emblem on it. I use the arizonas and have no problem with them at all.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have been using Arizonas for years and see no reason for me to change. very durable. I use a super glue type glue called Future Glue and it is a good combination.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:35 PM

I had a friend fletch some of my arrows with Bohning vanes in the past. Very durable vanes. I do have some arrows fletched with Duravanes and these are also very durable with good flight. I shoot using the Whisker Biscuit and the Duravanes seem to hold up very well.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too prefer feathers, but there are oocasions where spine requirements necessitate vanes for my set-ups.

Duravanes (norways), AAE or " Arizonas" (And the Easton Diamonds which are made by AAE), are the most popular and are a rubber type vane. They are super easy to fletch and that I believe is the main reason they have become so popular. They do work pretty well, and are inexpensive.

Bohnings are fairly tough regarding arrow hits, but are stiff and deteriorate quickly.

The best vanes on the market are the Flex Fletch (and to a somewhat lesser extent the Mullen-Marco brand). They are a bit more time consuming to fletch (bases need to be cleaned throughly and a slow set glue like Saunders NPV, Flex Bond or Ambroid is needed), but they are nigh indestructible: shrugging off most arrow hits, and will zip through a target and come back to shape w/ no fiddling. Once glued on properly, they won' t come off. They are expensive though, almost rivaling the cost of feathers.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:10 PM

My bow shop owner told me like this.....If birds had plastic wings, then use plastic vanes....However I purchased a couple arrows with plastic vanes for rainy weather. The vanes seem to group as well as the feathers... I don' t know anything about the glue and stuff though...
Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always used to use the Easton Vanes 4.75, but they recently stopped making them. As others have said, I can' t tell the difference between the Arizone AAE vanes and the Eastons. Except for the price. I use the Arizona 4.75 inch vane now pretty much exclusively on my compound anyway.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I use the duraves on my 3D arrows and they work great. Goat tuff is the adhesive I use, and that stuff is awesome, pricey but awesome.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:38 AM

i agree with reylamb duravanes and goat tuff,great combo

Quick Reply: Which vanes to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.