Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

There is a thread on AT right now where someone asked if you had to have one bow to shoot indoor/outdoor targets with as well as hunt, what would it be?

I'm dumbfounded at some of the answers- several people have mentioned something like a Switchback XT or DXT as their one bow.

I don't know about y'all but the LAST thing I would pick to be used for spots or distance would be something in the 29-31" A2A range- unless I couldn't care less what my scores were/how well I did.

My choice would be something like the Elite XLR- I'd opt for a bit longer A2A (for today that is) and a higher brace height. I hunted for years with bows in the 38-44" A2A range with no issues. Even if I had a shorter draw-say 26" or something- I wouldn't be shooting anything less than 35" A2A.

Don't get me wrong- I've had some real tack driver shorty short bows- my Mathews Outback was probably the most forgiving easy to shoot shorty I've owned-and kicked alot of my supposedly "more forgiving/accurate" bows to the curb- but no way in heck would I count on it to win on the Vegas face day in and day out or shoot a field round with.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

The "One bow to do it all" IMHO would be much closer to the full out target rig (Hoyt Pro or Ultra Elite) rather than a more hunting oriented rig.

For years people hunted with bows in the +41" range with little or no problems. A bow shooting under 240fps kill deer or elk just as dead as arrows moving 300+ fps.

On the flip side of the coin, your 32" ATA bow is not going to be as at home on a 20yard indoor range as your 41" bow will be in the woods.

If I were forced to choose one bow, it would be a ProElite with XT3000 limbs and the new SpiralX cams.
Accuracy is accuracy, on the range or in the treestand.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there are other things to factor in with these newer bows as well. Geometry being one. These shorter, parallel limb bows feel like they are much longer than they really are. I realize that 32" is 32", but I think they feel longer, more stable than say a non parallel limb bow of the same specs. They're all riser.

I still like a bit longer ATA bow, 34-36" is as short as I'll go. I won't go any lower than 7" in brace either. With todays materials and designs, we're getting more than adequate speeds with 7".

If I had pick one...wait, I already did. My Allegiance, in my hands, shoots very well regardless of what I'm doing with it.

Jeff, I think that AM you got will fit the bill awefully nicely too.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eh, it's AT I, personally don't like anything much less than a 36" ATA and 7" brace. I don't hunt out of a blind, therefore I see no need for a short ATA. I do agree today's short ATA bows are shooting much nicer than the bows of the past, but there's still an added stability factor with the longer ATA. Right now, my 101st is my do-all go to bow. About perfect in every way for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Eh, it's AT I, personally don't like anything much less than a 36" ATA and 7" brace. I don't hunt out of a blind, therefore I see no need for a short ATA. I do agree today's short ATA bows are shooting much nicer than the bows of the past, but there's still an added stability factor with the longer ATA. Right now, my 101st is my do-all go to bow. About perfect in every way for me.
If you could shoot it!!!! J/K ya a little.

For me, I think something like the AM35 or the aforementioned 101st would be a good do-it-all type bow. I'm a big enough guy that the a-to-a length don't make that much difference as far as sneaking into a spot, because I still have to fit my big body into a spot as well, therefore, I don't see the great benefit of a short a-to-a bow for hunting in all honesty.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me id have to say my 101st is my one bow to do all. It fits me perfectly and i can literally drive tacks with it. I actually planed on trading it this summer for a new one, but i like it so much i just cant do it. I can see myself owning this bow for a LONG time.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

So whats the scoop on the 101? What are the specs? I've never seen one- only the 82nd.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

The "One bow to do it all" IMHO would be much closer to the full out target rig (Hoyt Pro or Ultra Elite) rather than a more hunting oriented rig.

For years people hunted with bows in the +41" range with little or no problems. A bow shooting under 240fps kill deer or elk just as dead as arrows moving 300+ fps.

On the flip side of the coin, your 32" ATA bow is not going to be as at home on a 20yard indoor range as your 41" bow will be in the woods.

If I were forced to choose one bow, it would be a ProElite with XT3000 limbs and the new SpiralX cams.
Accuracy is accuracy, on the range or in the treestand.
This is exactly what I was getting at- IF It had to do double duty it would be geared for targets first, animals second.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

So whats the scoop on the 101? What are the specs? I've never seen one- only the 82nd.
Pretty much the same as the 82nd. 101st has a bit more BH (7.25) and just a bit less speed than the 82nd (332fps-340fps).
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Pretty much the same as the 82nd. 101st has a bit more BH (7.25) and just a bit less speed than the 82nd (332fps-340fps).
Hmm.. That model would have been right up my alley (no Bowtech puns please )

Quick Reply: Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.