Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow scale recommendation. >

Bow scale recommendation.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow scale recommendation.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow scale recommendation.

Alright, finally getting around to purchasing a bow scale. I like the coffey digital for the hold feature (this will eventually be used on a draw board). It's not listed on their site anymore, and quick searches turned up nothing. First, if someone could point me in the direction of where to locate this scale for sale (), that would be great.

Secondly, does anyone have any other suggestions? Budget is a factor, and spending less is more here. Thoughts on traditional vs digital? A few people said they had issues getting hold weight accuracy with the coffey's. How important is the inclusion of this feature? It seems if I can get by with a $20 scale, then why not? Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Bow scale recommendation.

Its not cheap but its very durable and you'll find this scale used by most bow shops. I've had this exact scale for 20 years or more and its very accurate. Did I say how durable it is? Not sure how practical for use with a drawboard though.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weird.

I first went to Mr. Coffey's own website for you (coffeymarketing.com, I think) and neither of the two he used to sell were on there. Thinking maybe he had signed an exclusive so as not to compete with Bass Pro or Cabela's, I went to their websites... nothing. I know they've got them in stores, because I just saw one in both last week. Gander also sells them.

As far as online, I had to go to more obscure sites like this to find them: http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/coffey-digital-deer-scale-p-4108.html

I couldn't tell you much about the holding weight feature, because all I can get mine to show is peak weight. Maybe it shows holding weight in real time, in which case my head's not up there to see it because I'm pulling down on my bow while the sting is on an eye hook screwed into one of my rafters. [8D]
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that's why I posted this, Greg. I couldn't find it on their site anymore, but thanks for that link, because I was having a bit of trouble finding the bow scale anywhere else (the deer scale is more readily available). As to my comment on the holding weight, I worded that wrong. I meant peak weight. Some people on AT were complaining of issues getting an accurate peak weight reading, and if that's the only selling point, I would probably be better off with a cheap $20 scale.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were buying new,I would go with the Easton Digital Scale.It is expensive but very nice.

I have a viking scale like the one pictured and they work quite well but they aren't exactly cheap either.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

If I were buying new,I would go with the Easton Digital Scale.It is expensive but very nice.

I have a viking scale like the one pictured and they work quite well but they aren't exactly cheap either.
I'm sure it is (you're talking about the handheld one you draw back with holding?), but I can't justify the $$ right now for the limited use. Can that even be hooked inline on a drawboard?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both the Coffey's Digital and the Viking.
What I don't like about the Coffey's is it will give you a different reading almost every time it is used. Then you pretty much have to use the ' law of average' calculation to get the DW etc.

On the other hand the Viking is a mechanical scale and will be around for many years in service.
I would recommend the Viking mechanical scale.

As for the Easton, this is a very good scale, however if you intend to use it on a draw board, setting it up in that configuration will take a bit more than the Viking.
You will not go wrong with the Viking...it's a KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

For use on a drawboard I would go with the Viking also.