Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 will I need to retune my bow? >

will I need to retune my bow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

will I need to retune my bow?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

Default will I need to retune my bow?

I hurt my shoulder and cant pull my bow back.I want to back the poundage off and I am curious if I need to re tune?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: will I need to retune my bow?

ORIGINAL: pureadrenaline

I hurt my shoulder and cant pull my bow back.I want to back the poundage off and I am curious if I need to re tune?
Well, your impact will certainly change with a change in poundage. How drastic it changes is dependent on several factors (primarily arrow weight and bow speed as well as how many lbs you're backing off). A slight elevation change on your sight may fix this issue. However, depending on how many pounds you're backing off, and where you currently sit spine wise with your setup, you may end up on the stiff end of the spine chart. Someone with OT2 or AA here can run the numbers for you if you can provide us with some information about your setup. What bow, poundage (current and final after backing down), draw length, arrow finished weight? If you fall in to the stiff end, you can do a few things. Up the poundage on the bow (obviously this isn't likely something you're going to want to do since, the point of this was for you to lower the poundage), or install heavier points, or get longer shafts. I'm assuming you will be alright, since most spine charts allow a certain deviation + or - in draw weight to still stay spined alright.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are dropping poundage, your current arrows will actually act stiffer, not weaker.

Most def the sight settings will changeif you are dropping more than a couple pounds-at least at longer ranges, it's less likely you will need to do major tinkering with rest or nocking point, though it is possible.

Sorry to hear about your injury
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

If you are dropping poundage, your current arrows will actually act stiffer, not weaker.

Oops, yeah, you're right...wasn't thinking[&:]