Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton Nano ST AXIS and Full Metal Jacket >

Easton Nano ST AXIS and Full Metal Jacket

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton Nano ST AXIS and Full Metal Jacket

Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Easton Nano ST AXIS and Full Metal Jacket

I am a little befuddled about bending ACC's or FMJ's. Pretty hard to bend them IMO, have to be abused. I've had my A/C Superslims since they came out and have noticed no bends at all. I have broken or lost a few due to an animal rolling on one, lost another, but have never bent one.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Abuse an arrow??? I shoot my practice arrows into good targets that stop arrows like they are supposed to and haven't bent or broken any. When you shoot an animal with an arrow or miss an animal, that's where the controlled stoppage ends. It's also where they get broken or bent, which is exactly where I've seen it happen. Is it abuse if it's out of your control? I don't think so.. Had a tom turkey break one of my first Axis arrows and also had a buck bend an FMJ. He didn't lay on it but brushed a tree as he sped away after the shot. If it would have been a carbon I wouldn't have thought it would have broke it. The bend it tookwas slight but clearly noticeable.

If the arrow does it's job I guess it's retirement time anyway but it would be nice if they take a little more abuse.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Abuse an arrow??? I shoot my practice arrows into good targets that stop arrows like they are supposed to and haven't bent or broken any. When you shoot an animal with an arrow or miss an animal, that's where the controlled stoppage ends. It's also where they get broken or bent, which is exactly where I've seen it happen. Is it abuse if it's out of your control? I don't think so.. Had a tom turkey break one of my first Axis arrows and also had a buck bend an FMJ. He didn't lay on it but brushed a tree as he sped away after the shot. If it would have been a carbon I wouldn't have thought it would have broke it. The bend it tookwas slight but clearly noticeable.

If the arrow does it's job I guess it's retirement time anyway but it would be nice if they take a little more abuse.
Russ, Are you saying while Hunting and Shooting animals that Poop Happens?

I know what you mean. I've lost more than a few arrows through damage in that fashion.

Dan
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting the FMJ's for around 6 months now and I have managed to break a few, mostly by hitting rocks. That said they have taken knocks that would have destroyed my old Axis ST's and still been fine.
I havent broken any in animals, as they have passed through everything they have hit.

I have bent one FMJ shaft so far, but that was by hitting it at an angle with another arrow.

They do slow the bow down a little with the extra weight though.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Russ, Are you saying while Hunting and Shooting animals that Poop Happens?

I know what you mean. I've lost more than a few arrows through damage in that fashion.

Dan
Boy, does it everThat said, I think both shafts are great quality but my next hunting arrows will probably all carbon Axis of some sort,, in the future,, when ever that might be. I've been hunting with the original Axis for some time and I'm down to 7of those. I still have 10 FMJ's so when the original Axis run out, the FMJ's will take over guiding my Muzzys.

I may be in my 70's by then!!![:-]
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

No offense meant Russ. By abuse I meant shooting at arrows sideways in the target, shooting rocks, blocks, etc. Shooting a deer and him bending or breaking it while it speeds off or it rolling over on it, no I don't call that abuse. Personally I am done with all carbon arrows. Must messing around with a friend shooting long distance that I had no business doing at the time I shot an A/C Superslim 400 through one side of an old garage and the arrow stuck out of the other side. It was made of old tough 1" thick or thicker siding. We beat on the field point to get the arrow out......no damage to the arrow except for a small scratch near the point. I still shoot that arrow today....no bends. I am convinced most all carbons would have broken.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The arrow durability threads always befuddle me. I've been shooting bows for a long time and tried most brands of arrows at one point or another. I've come to the conclusion that pretty much all of the arrows break when you hit something they weren't intended to hit.

The carbons and ACC's are more durable than the aluminums not doubt because of the bending issue. The carbons and ACC's that I have hit trees, rocks, hard ground, large bone, etc break. When a critter falls over on top of them they break.

People are always chiming in about brand X that they have shot the same arrow into multiple trees, hit concrete blocks and shot through their garage. They still have 11 new ones because they can't break the first one. The only conclusion I can come up with is they are shooting a 10# bow.

If I miss and hit a tree, or rock or concrete my arrows break. It usually ends up with the insert driven about 6 inches up into the shaft and a frayed end. Even if my arrow didn't break I wouldn't shoot it again after hitting somehthing hard, not worth it. My cousin learned that lesson the hard way getting half of a carbon shaft removed from his hand. Entered near the wrist and came out in the thumb pad.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although none of my ACCs have broken after passthroughs on both deer and turkey's, that's not why I shoot them. I shoot them because their spine is consistent as is their weight variation and straightness, which I feel is the reason many people shoot them as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I personally prefer the CX Maxima series shafts to either the Axis or the FMJ's

Dan
Dan you and I have very similar tastes (on more than one topic it seems).

I shot ACCs, then Axis, then FMJs throughout my last 8 years or so. Last summer (late summer), I shot a few Maxima hunters through my bow and I really liked the way they shot. Been shooting them ever since. Never had an issue with Easton at all, but the Maximas just work for me.

Only this I don't like about them.... Made in Korea.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up with the Maxima 3D Selects (for the time being) as well. The Nanos spined well but are still too goofy with nock and point wobble. Not to mention along with 3-60s, 340 Pro Hunters, and FMJs , the Nanos were heavier than I wanted unless I dropped point weights and went back to feathers. The FMJs I messed with def spun better than Axis.

Dear Easton/Goldtip:

If I'm gonna spend $100+ on all-carbon shafts/arrows , I want them to have excellent tolerances in everything- spine, weight AND straightness. This is not 1999. 2 out of 3 doesn't cut it anymore.

Quick Reply: Easton Nano ST AXIS and Full Metal Jacket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.