Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 heavy spined arrows >

heavy spined arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

heavy spined arrows

Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default heavy spined arrows

I was just thinking about some of these new bows posting 350+ fps ibo ratings and was giving some thought on what arrows some would use at the 70# 30"+ range.Most arrows on the market just won't cover it for perfect spine match for broadhead tuning,then I remembered that Easton has some new big game FMJ's out.

So I went and checked them out and I was floored at the weight some could build these things up to without doing anything special.Check out some of the specs.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/58

Take a 30" draw and that would be somwhere around a 29" arrow,the new FMJ .250 weighs in at 17.2 grains.

17.2 X 29"=498.8 RAW SHAFT[]

125 grain broadhead
75 grain EASTON HIT insert(no aftermarket acc.)
20 grain tracer nocks
8 grain feathers (my preference)

so

+125
+75
+20
+8
---------
=726.8 grains

With very little work,you could bump this even more but this is just using available easton acc. wow.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: heavy spined arrows

That would be some serious penetration.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think at 30/70 most of the .300 spine class shafts should still prolly be OK- assuming 100 grain points and vanes around 29" of shaft. Good nock travel on all these hybrids and binaries these days should make it a bit less critical.

Now at 80/30, then it's gonna be tougher. That FMJ and I think CT has a "dangerous game" version of the Rhino that spins in the .200s Some of the larger diameter Goldtip shafts are really heavy spined too...250-ish.

Many of the guys over at the PSE forums are saying the Xforce tends to like a little weaker shaft than you would think (?)

You can always buy some CX insert type carbons then find some old AFC 2540s pultrudeds and stuff 'em inside the CX- thats what a couple guys I know did when they went to Africa about 10 years ago. 1000 grains or thereabouts.... :gulp: :gulp:

Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to some that have tried to tune broadheads with these faster bows,they are right on the edge at 30/70 and that goes right along with what Archers Advantage tells me.

Go any past 29" arrow or 30" draw and you are in trouble.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

According to some that have tried to tune broadheads with these faster bows,they are not OK and that goes right along with what Archers Advantage tells me.

If field points group great at all yardages, the bow is tuned well, but the BHs wont, group/fly then I'd say it's not weak spine thats the issue but the speed, or the arrow themselves (poor quality)

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,I made a slight correction to my post.You just saw it before I could change it.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,I made a slight correction to my post.You just saw it before I could change it.
I see that-

Well, unfortunately I don't nor will I ever have any experience with a 30" draw length [:'(]

IIRC, There's a guy over on the ELite forums shooting the XLR at 32" draw 70 pounds or so shooting .300 spine Rhinos- around 30" arrow length . XLR @32" is same power stroke (8" brace) as Xforce or 82nd @ 30" (6" brace). So I'd say it alot of it "depends"- how much FOC? How much fletching weight on the back end to stiffen spine? etc.

Personally, at those speeds and draws, I wouldn't be bothering with fixed blades for deer - I'd be shooting a 3" cut 4 blade mech!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

DUDE a 750 gr arrow? Holy SH**. I think the African locals already developed something similar for taking down big game -- its called a spear . Would like to see some speeds of a 70/30 82nd, Monster, or Xforce shooting one of these 700gr. javelin's.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I see that-

Well, unfortunately I don't nor will I ever have any experience with a 30" draw length [:'(]

IIRC, There's a guy over on the ELite forums shooting the XLR at 32" draw 70 pounds or so shooting .300 spine Rhinos- around 30" arrow length . XLR @32" is same power stroke (8" brace) as Xforce or 82nd @ 30" (6" brace). So I'd say it alot of it "depends"- how much FOC? How much fletching weight on the back end to stiffen spine? etc.

Personally, at those speeds and draws, I wouldn't be bothering with fixed blades for deer - I'd be shooting a 3" cut 4 blade mech!

You and me both.[8D]
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

They also have the .300 dangerous game fmj's weighing in at 15.5 grains per inch.That would be a 449 grain raw shaft[&:]

Quick Reply: heavy spined arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.