Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne? >

So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

The only difference in the 09 82nd and the 08 is the cable guard, and the string stop. Everything else is identical.

Derek
Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting an 82nd. It loads early and drops off a little right before the gettinginto the valley. Pretty sharp drop into the valley but not near what the BKII was. I don't bounce arrows off my rest with this one. The wall is solid but not a lot of valley. No creeping allowed, its anarm yanker if you don't keep it pulled into the wall. This actually helps my form as I'll creep one that I can hang on to.

Compared to the Allegianceit is pretty stiff.Compared to the BKII it is pretty nice. I shot the 2008 model GT500 and honestly didn'tthink there wasany difference in draw cycle compared to my 82nd.

I haven't shot mine through a chrono so I don't have any idea what the speed is. I shoot a 485gr arrow and know it hits hard. Performance wise I have no complaints.The bow tuned relatively easy and groups fixed blade broadheads with my FP's out to 40 yards. Can't ask for much more than that. Accuracy has not been a problem, the bow shoots and groups very well.I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy between this bow and myAllegiance. It shoots verywell for a low BH bow.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I could mention that I am getting 278fps out of my 82nd at 62 lbs, 28.5" draw length and shooting a 428 grain arrow.....not too shabby...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I've got both (82nd and X)and you can guess which one I prefer, but I REALLY do. lol

I set them both up with comperable string accessories. The 82nd had the 30.5" modules and the X was a 30" cam.After some timing tweaks they both shot 352 with a 349.5 gr arrow, BUTThe 30" X had about .5" longer draw than the 30.5" 82nd.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone- def sounds like the performance is there in the 82nd. Unfortunately I think this "experiment" will have to go on the backburner for awhile. My guitar stuff is just NOT moving (selling) thanks to this increasingly crap economy.[:@]
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

I'm shooting an 82nd. It loads early and drops off a little right before the gettinginto the valley. Pretty sharp drop into the valley but not near what the BKII was. I don't bounce arrows off my rest with this one. The wall is solid but not a lot of valley. No creeping allowed, its anarm yanker if you don't keep it pulled into the wall. This actually helps my form as I'll creep one that I can hang on to.

Compared to the Allegianceit is pretty stiff.Compared to the BKII it is pretty nice. I shot the 2008 model GT500 and honestly didn'tthink there wasany difference in draw cycle compared to my 82nd.

I haven't shot mine through a chrono so I don't have any idea what the speed is. I shoot a 485gr arrow and know it hits hard. Performance wise I have no complaints.The bow tuned relatively easy and groups fixed blade broadheads with my FP's out to 40 yards. Can't ask for much more than that. Accuracy has not been a problem, the bow shoots and groups very well.I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy between this bow and myAllegiance. It shoots verywell for a low BH bow.
Couldn't speak for the GT500 as I've not shot that bow as yet, but will certainly agree with everything else mez has mentioned above.
Would like to add.
Certainly be careful at first for the arm to tear loose if the concentration lapses, however this will eventually fade away.
It is my feeling that the string stop on the 08 Airborne was very much in the wrong place. This has changed on the 09's. I hate the db from the string colliding the stop. This will make it quite difficult god forbid the first shot was off the target. It can be similar to a smoke pole in this sense...second shots are 'not'easy to get.
Your grip on the bow has got to be 100% on always. The slightest twitch will result in ugly left and right shots off the target. There is 'no' forgiveness when this bow is torqued.
I also found vibrations from the string coming into contact with the string supressor to effect some loosening of the rest, (launcher arms/whammy). You constantly need to torque the boltsfor the modules.

Otherwise, the 82nd is blistering fast. Mine is adjusted to 57-58# shooting a 27.5" GT UL400 shaft tipped with a 100 grain BH, fletched with 3-2" blazers and a GT nock. Total weight 353 grains and she clocks 295 fps on the chrony. That's fast for a 27.5 DL/57-58# bow...plenty fast. Tuned properly the arrow flies very well.
Accuracy is not a problem with good form and this bow can definitely thrill the shooter...if only the draw cycle was a bit more mannered.
All in all, I'll rateit a 8 out of 10. JMHO.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I Love my 82nd and it is the only 08 I hung onto. It was never loud but after adding a Rubber Rpl. in the OEM Shortstop and adding a lower mount Mini MeanV it is very quiet and shooting some impressive speeds to boot.

61#, 28" draw

shooting a 365 grain CXAramid at 306fps.

As far as the Draw cycle? I shot an Allegiance with speed modsprimarily before the 82nd, and to me the draw might be a tad tougher, but really No huge difference.

Dan

Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kinda guitar stuff Jeff? I might be interested...

Derek
Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

What kinda guitar stuff Jeff? I might be interested...

Derek
I can PM ya details if you'd like

Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give em' to me

And a price...

I love the big headstock- it reminds me of jimi's guitars!
Derek

Quick Reply: So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.