Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default paper tuning

i just got my 09 admiral, and had it paper tuned before i took it home... when i sighted it in, it shot low no matter how far up i moved the sights, so i moved the rest up. i knw this will throw the bow out of tune, but it shoots very accurately now. i may be able to adjust the sightso it will move up more, not sure..

will my bow be out of tune that bad? and if it is, what is this hurting?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Default RE: paper tuning

move your sight down not up. Always move the sight to where the arrow is hitting, it's not like a rifle scope.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt it was tuned (correctly) before if you didn't have enough adjustment but who knows.

Have you put a broadhead on the bow to see where they hit as compared to the fieldpoints?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paper tuning is just one method of getting a bow in tune and, IMO, shouldn't be the only one used. But, if done correctly, it can be effective. Also, part of the problem with having someone else tune your bow is that they are tuning in relation to their form and shooting ability, not yours. It seems reasonable that whoever tuned your bow had it shooting well for them but that doesn't mean it would shoot well for you so, moving the rest as you did, made it shoot well for you. Take a look at the top of this forum and there is some very good info about walk-back tuning. You may want to give that a try. Group tuning would be another way to determine how "tuned" you are also.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
bigcountry

A bow is not tuned until you can hit where you need too. And no matter what anyone says, no one can totally tune your bow. They can get it close, but one needs to account for thier form too.

And paper is just the starting point as Bruce pointed out. See if how it broadhead tunes out to 50-60 yards.

There is no reason other than form that the arrow POI is not moving with sight changes. Think about it this way, would your POI move if you held 1ft High? Sure would not matter how bad tune it is.

A paper setup is easy to make, I highly suggest it. ONly hard part is stopping that arrow. I seem to wear out range bags every year and every once in a while, I hit it hit the wall behind my garage.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: swamp cowboy

move your sight down not up. Always move the sight to where the arrow is hitting, it's not like a rifle scope.

If in fact that is what he is doing,good catch.I took it as he was trying to move the arrows up by adjusting the sight but you may be correct.

Remember to always follow your arrow.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

x2

Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

i just got my 09 admiral, and had it paper tuned before i took it home... when i sighted it in, it shot low no matter how far up i moved the sights, so i moved the rest up. i knw this will throw the bow out of tune, but it shoots very accurately now. i may be able to adjust the sightso it will move up more, not sure..

will my bow be out of tune that bad? and if it is, what is this hurting?
As another alluded to, you need to "chase the arrow," therefore, you need to move the sight DOWN if the arrow are hitting low. Also, if the peep wasn't installed in the correct place you can run into issues similar to this with that. More than likely you just needed to adjust the sight CORRECTLY though. After figuring that out, Broadhead Tuning can get you ready to cut some "X's."
Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

sorry, thts what i meant lol
Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I doubt it was tuned (correctly) before if you didn't have enough adjustment but who knows.

Have you put a broadhead on the bow to see where they hit as compared to the fieldpoints?

i havent, i use TR undertakers.... supposedly they fly like field tips

Quick Reply: paper tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.