Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

NEED HELP

Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Default NEED HELP

I just bought a 09 Black Ice on friday. I got the guy at the store to set it up and paper tune it. I shot it yesterday got it sighted in and it was shooting great. But today I had to register it online for the warranty and the serial # was behind the rest... which is a hostage pro. So i did that and tried to move it back where it was. I shot 4 arrows 3 from 20 yards and one from 30 and they were all touching each other but they were about 3 or 4 inches high. Do I need to sight it in again or move the rest? Also yesterday I noticed the arrow didn't sit at a 90 degree angle to the string so when I put it back on I put it at a 90 degree angle. I don't know much about setting up bows or tuning them but I would like to learn so I figured this was a good time to do something by myself instead of taking to the store. Thanlks for any help.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Default RE: NEED HELP

ive noticed that usually your arrows not supposed to be at 90 it should be a little off one way or the other i cant remember which. its because when its at full draw your nock is in a slightly different position.

NO PRO - but thats probobly what changed your shot slightly
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zero your 20yd pin, and put on some BH's and shoot, move the rest towards where you want the BH's to hit, until you have a similar or same Point of Impact between BH's and FP's, and then sight in the rest of your pins. After that, shoot a BH at whatever your LONGEST pin is, and see how close the BH hits with the FP.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the bow was tuned well and sighted in before you removed the rest then you should be able to lower the rest in small increments till the arrows are hitting at 20 yards again just like before. Being as you didn't change anything else your 30 yard pin should also be OK. Shoot at 20 and get it really close. Then shoot at 30 yards and see where it's hitting. Adjust the rest as necessary to get the arrows hitting at 30 yards. Then check at 20 yards again.

From there you should be able to shoot the bow and get more comfortable with it. As you learn more about tuning then you need to refer to Easton's Tuning Guide and learn the finer points of tuning. Adjust the nocking point, rest, and bow weight as you need to to obtain a respectable tune. Then measure everything on the bow for future reference.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the help... BG that's what I kind of did and I got it really close back to what I think it was. I am shooting good at least and didn't have to change my sights.One more question though. The bolt that holds it on also slides front to back too not just up and down, does that matter or is it ok just as along as my broadhead is about an inch in front of it?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

sounds okay to me. as long as ur broadhead is far enough in front of rest
Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: swamp cowboy

Thanks for the help... BG that's what I kind of did and I got it really close back to what I think it was. I am shooting good at least and didn't have to change my sights.One more question though. The bolt that holds it on also slides front to back too not just up and down, does that matter or is it ok just as along as my broadhead is about an inch in front of it?
Hey, as long as things are tight and not moving and your broadhead is in front of the rest then you should be good to go. Now it's fun time, right?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the help. last night I read the threads at the top of the page, so today when I got home I shot for about 2 hours. I just kind of experimentedwith everything and moved stuff around and kind of saw what it would do. Then I did the walk back tuning thing and then did some group shooting. I even turned on the flood lights to be able to shoot a little longer. The end result...... tomorrow I need to sight in my bow, but for now I am shooting the tightest groups I've ever shot consistently. Thanks to everyone on here, I look forward to learning more.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never paper tuned my bow. to tell u the truth, i think its pointless. but i would just sight the bow back in, thats all i do