Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Goodies

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Goodies

Well got some money for Christmas already and I'm thinking about picking up some things I have had my eye on. Been really looking a lense for my HHA sight and a back tension release. So...How many of you guys shoot with a magnified sight lense? Seems to me like it would greatly help see target rings better. Any input? Also, what back tension release do you prefer, and why? Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goodies

What are you planning on using the HHA sight for?

I shoot a 4x magnification setup, and can use it well without any type of clarifier/verifier (lucky)

I have been using a Carter Colby2 bt release lately and have been loving it! I would suggest starting out with one with a safety like a tru-ball release. They are pretty easy to use and are nice for learning. Although bt is a great way to cure target panic, you can still punch/pull off a bt release once you learn. You still have to focus to do it right and it takes alot of time. That being said, if you are dedicated with it, you might be better off to get a good one from the get go. I hated shooting bt until i tried a couple of good releases, and once i did, thats all ive been using.

Carter, Stan, truball, loesch, are all good bt releas companies.

Derek
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on using the lense for 3D season and then most likely take it off for hunting. I have also been really looking at the Carter line. I think I like the Evolution+ the most.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on using the sight only for target, I would personally recommend a slider type sight (i.e., Sure-Loc, Axcell, CBE, etc...) I believe you would be much better of/happier in teh long run with a sight bar like that. Dont get me wrong, the HHA's are nice and many use them, but if you are just going for target setup, you could get a better setup than the HHA... depending on how much you want to spend of course.
heres a pic of my 9"Sure-Loc Supreme400 sight bar, with my Viper 4x scope with a .010 up pin.

The Carter EVO+ is a very unique release. Some like it, others dont. How familiar are you with BackTension shooting? Anyways, the EVO is about the most true release made, adn in the right hands can be shot with very well. Ive never used one, but id like to. Ive heard they take quite a bit of practice to master, but any type of BT release does.

BTW, you can find great deals on EVO's on AT...
Derek
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bow! I think the sights you mentioned might be a little out of my price range, this year at least. This is my first year I plan on seriously shooting 3D so I plan to keep my bow pretty much the way it is for hunting. I figure if I practice and shoot a lot without all the extras and such at first, then it will be even sweeter when I get them. As far as my experience with BT, there really isn't much to say. I have shot some Tru Ball model, and didn't really like it. I have also played with a EVO+ at the shop and really liked it. I have heard it will take some practice to get used to, but I'm definitely willing to put in the time if it pays off.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The HHA sight isnt cheap either, but yes, it will be cheaper than a new slider setup. The HHA's are easy to use as well so if thats what you think you will like,, i have nothing bad to say about them.

If you liked how the evo felt than go with that as well. Its what feels right that will make you happy.
Derek

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The HHA's are really easy to use. If I ever get a bow set up just for targets, I'll definitely look into the Viper line. I just can't really justify spending that much now, considering I already have the HHA. I just need to dish out the $75 for the lense. You suggest the 4X? Because there is also a 2X and 6X available, 4 just seemed to be a happy medium.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

2x will be the easiest to get used to, but a 4x will obviously do more magnifying. A 6x outdoors is really unnecessarry and actually said to be worse b/c of too much power. 6x is good for spots, but will blurr a 3d target. It is sometimes hard to find the circles on 3d targets as well with the 4x but you can get used to it easily. 4x is what is typically used for 3d.
Derek