Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow! >

BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow!

Old 04-07-2003, 10:41 PM

Default BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow!

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out a way to boost the speed of my bow without using a lighter arrow. I have the bow maxed out at 72 pounds with a 30" draw length.

Right now, my MightyMite is shooting a 419.9 grain arrow at 301-303 f.p.s. (with 302 being the most often recorded speed) without anything on the string except a single nock. Without the nock, I would be getting in the 305-307 f.p.s. range and would probablly be averaging at 306 f.p.s.

I plan on using a small release loop, two Simms String Leech' s, and a either a No Lose Peep Sight or a Shurz-A-Peep. From what I have heard, read, and seen, this should take my speed down to the 288-290 f.p.s. I am removing the factory nock as that is 4 f.p.s. gone and it will serve no purpose. That will put me in the 292-294 f.p.s. range.

I was wondering if you guys could think of any other way to boost the speed and maybe get 300 f.p.s. with everything set-up. Its no big deal, but, it would be great to have.

At 289 f.p.s., my bow will have 78 ft-lbs of K.E. and 0.5380469 lb-sec of momentum.

At 300 f.p.s., my bow would have 84 ft-lbs of K.E. and 0.5585262 lb-sec of momentum.

I have heard that if you put the string silencers near the cams, it will cause less speed loss. To what extent is this?

Can' t wait to hear some tips, and I am sure that I will hear " your bow is plenty fast" or " your bow is too fast" , but hey, the bow is the most controlable and shootable bow I have ever shot, so, why not push a little more out of it.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow!

Sa far as the location of string silencers goes-
The one day I was playing with mine and the chrony. I saw a 5-8 fps difference as to where the hush kit string silencers were located.
The bow posted the fastest speeds with the string silencers nearest the cams, without going onto the serving. The lower one is right above the two knocks heatshrunk onto the string (Only because I didn' t feel like streatching it over them).
What speed did your birth certificate come in at?

I know everyone is down on the hush kit, but with mine installed,limbs bottomed out at70.2#, a 29" draw and chunking a 435 grain arrow, I got a high of 285 and a mean of 283 fps. Not too shabby considering I left all my do-dads on and was flinging an arrow 15 grains heavier.

Don' t know how your gonna squeeze blood from a turnip, but I' ll be interested in the replies.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:05 AM

http://domino.htcomp.net/ragsdale.ns...hlight=0,speed
Old 04-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, after reading that " letter" - should 275 be all I try to achieve for the best of everything?
I was getting 275 fps at 67# which is what last years hunting bow was pulling.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Very similarly to cars, we archers love tinkering with our bows. In Buck Magnet' s case, I don' t think it is a question of enough power or speed for an ethical kill but more for the sheer satisfaction of eeking that last little bit out of an already more than adequate setup.

Moving the leeches towards the ends of the cable will improve your speed, but at the cost of noise. When the string vibrates after the shot, the largest amplitude is found at the center of the string. Seems to me that if the leeches were placed at the center they would do the most good (from a purely theoretical standpoint). This would also mean the bow would have to drag them over the entire draw length, causing the greatest loss in speed. The farther toward the cams the leeches go, the less displacement the bow has to impart on them and the lower the speed loss. However due to the lower amplitude vibrations they will not be as effective. In all reality you may not notice the change in noise the farther out you go.
If you are in to playing around, you could try to trim down the leeches. Removing mass from the string will increase speed, but this will cost you noise, plus you will chop up a perfectly good set of leeches.

For the peep issue, you could always get rid of the peep sight alltogether and go with a NoPeep or hind sight. That would help remove some mass from your string and give you 5-7fps.

If that is still not enough then you can always look into 80lb limbs
Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

For the peep issue, you could always get rid of the peep sight alltogether and go with a NoPeep or hind sight. That would help remove some mass from your string and give you 5-7fps
I agree. That is how Matt/PA always gets away with such a relatively low amount of speed loss compared to the IBO speeds for his bows.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:32 AM

Try 1 string leech instead of 2. Try playing with the Tru ball speed silencers. Try the no peep. Your bow is plenty fast.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Here are a few " non dangerous" ones-

1) Run a tru-peep instead of a peep with a tube, or run a no-peep.

2) install TruBall " speedballs" and adjust them with the help of a chrono. (some of the best on the market, up to 11fps, depending upon bow)

3) Tear bow down and polish axels clean with fine steel wool, then spray with Hoppes" ' Dri-lube. Also make sure your cam spins freely when in the limb and assembled, before you re-install harness or string. If it doesn' t spin freely, then you are too tightly shimmed.

4) Run a string built of higher speed material, such as 8125, and run two less strands and a thicker centerserving. (5 feet per strand normally) Most strings are built above stress spec and can handle this. Don' t go any more than 2 tho.

5) Run a smaller centerserving. Also eliminate brass noksets and replace them with tie-in ones.

6) Run a lighter arrow.

There are many more, but you can easily void you warranty if you use them. Even the string strand drop will void your warranty, so be careful of what you do. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 04-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

PABowhuntr (Frank) ,
Don' t hate the player......hate the game.

But you are correct.......a simple string loop and nothing else is a big advantage over a loaded string. Doesn' t always mean I' m gonna hunt with it exactly like that but I like to see what I can wring out of a bow just for giggles.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the tips guys...

One question, I have seen the No Peep in magazines, and I have read the little briefings on them. I have never seen one in person or used one, and, my question is, how exactly does it work? Do you have to center your pins in the little circle like you do with a peep, or do you have to use the no peep as a reference point?

Its not all about SPEED, I just like achieveing the best performance out of anything I own.

Quick Reply: BOOSTING SPEED of a already Blazing fast bow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.