Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Removal and Zip Strip >

Fletching Removal and Zip Strip

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Removal and Zip Strip

Old 12-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fletching Removal and Zip Strip

I'm slowly adding to my home shop, and now with the season winding down, I'm going to add a few things to work on this winter. I'm going to begin doing my own fletching, but I have a few questions. I removed the fletching on three of my arrows using a razor blade. I was careful to keep the blade at a very low angle as to not gouge the arrow, but in doing so, I still have quite a bit of adhesive left, and small traces of the fletching base. I've heard mixed opinions on using acetone to remove the adhesive. Is this detrimental to the arrow, or is this what I should be using? Secondly, I've thought about purchasing a stripper tool like the zip strip. I'm assuming this tool would make the removal process quicker and more efficient. Do tools like this remove the entire fletch base AND adhesive, or do you still need to remove most of the adhesive after using the tool? Newb questions, I know, but I want to do this right the first time around. Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fletching Removal and Zip Strip

A zip strip works the best imo but when using a razor blade,make sure it is a dull blade.This works much better imo.

I don't use acetone at all anymore and have NEVER soaked an arrow with it.Not a good idea with carbon arrows.

I clean with isopropyl alcohol and wipe clean with water.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM

I use a pocket knife that is just less than shaving sharp. I'd stay away from solvents on carbon shafts but they're fine on aluminum surfaces like the FMJ's or fully aluminum shafts. If you do use a solvent alcohol(90+%) is the safest followed by acetone.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use a Scotchbrite pad to get the leftover glue off, seems to work pretty good.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Consider using feathers and feather fletch tape.Works as well as any glue but the cleanup and refletching is a breeze.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a dull fillet knife. Basically a big bait knife... cheap and available. I fletch a WHOLE lot of arrows too.

I use the fillet knife to scrape away the glue residue... then I use hot water with a scotch-brite scouring pad and comet to clean the shafts. I scrub'em good too... the scouring pad will actually rough the surface up more... which means more surface area for glue to adhear too... thats a good thing. I let them dry, and fletch them immediately. I've had arrows of mine go through bag, block and 3D targets several times over and not had them tear off. Works like a charm.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I, too, just use a duller knife, kinda like fleshing a hide. Dont want it too sharp or you'll cut right through!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I use a dull fillet knife. Basically a big bait knife... cheap and available. I fletch a WHOLE lot of arrows too.

I use the fillet knife to scrape away the glue residue... then I use hot water with a scotch-brite scouring pad and comet to clean the shafts. I scrub'em good too... the scouring pad will actually rough the surface up more... which means more surface area for glue to adhear too... thats a good thing. I let them dry, and fletch them immediately. I've had arrows of mine go through bag, block and 3D targets several times over and not had them tear off. Works like a charm.

I do much the same when I have some extra tough glue to remove.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the dull razor blade ritual and it works well for me. However, I use wraps and this eliminates having to remove the glue from the shaft.

I never thought about using a scotchbrite pad to really clean them.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mostly I use a butter knife or dull pocket knife. I have hit the shaft with scotch brite if I had a bit of tough residue(mostly when stripping off factory fletched arrrows) Otherwise just some iso-propyl alcohol & good to go.

Quick Reply: Fletching Removal and Zip Strip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.