Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Silencing a speed bow. >

Silencing a speed bow.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Silencing a speed bow.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Silencing a speed bow.

I shoot a 2008 82nd Airborne, but it sounds like a shotgun in the range. I'll admit that the range has bad acoustics, but it is by far the loudest bow in the place. I have just about every bowjax product on that thing. The only thing I have left to do is get MeanV2 to make my a string suppressor to replace the stock one. I need to make it quieter. Any suggestions.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Silencing a speed bow.

Shoot a heavier arrow. Speed bows are loud(er) than bows that shoot a little slower... the more stored energy... the more wasted energy.... wasted energy is either noise, vibration or both... but it has to go somewhere.

The other possibility is that something is out of whack... which depending on how much you mess with your bow and your level of expertise is either exactly the problem or just a possiblity.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Shoot a heavier arrow.
X2!!! Put that wasted energy to good use rather than blowing it off into the cosmos.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM

I mess with it a ton. I use it to test every product I recommend because I know that it will test the products to the max. Now, I think that something is out of whack because it was not this loud before, and all I did was add products that should silence it. I gave it the once over and did not notice anything. Got any ideas?

Also, to add credibility to my statement that something is wrong with the bow, there was a guy shooting a 360 fps x-force that was not as quiet at my 82nd before, but was silent compared to mine this time.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Something has come loose or one of those products messed with the harmonics and put them into some sort of resonance amplification (really reaching here). Try taking them off one at a time and see what happens.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM

The only things that I put on were those bowjax that go on the end of the stabilizer. Something else is wrong.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM

Try using cat whiskers....I heard that Bowtech actually put out a study showing that their silencers were the least effective and cat whiskers were the most effective.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I tried those whiskers and the thing that they do best is slow the bow down. Not worth it. I'd just get a heavier arrow that would penetrate better.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I need ideas of what to look for that might have come loose.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM

worked for my brother....but he shoots a diamond and it is not a real speed bow.

Quick Reply: Silencing a speed bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.