Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bow

Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Default New Bow

I am looking at geting a new bow after the season. I am looking at the Katera and AlfaMax from Hoyt. Anyone have any personal experience with these 2 bows? If so what are your likes and dislikes? Any shortcomings from these bows and if so what would they be?

I have shot the DXT and Reezen 6.5 Mathewes' bows and I like the DXT but I am going this week to shoot both of the Hoyts'. I have plenty of time to make a decision. I just would like some of the opinions of the people here before I decide.

I am planning a DIY elk hunt in 2010. A buddy of mine told me that I needed a certain Kfp out if my bow to take an elk. I don't know if this is true or not. This isn't the reason I am geeting a new bow but if what he stated is true, it will determine which bow I get.

Thanx in advance for your responses.
Scrat
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bow

If you like single cam bows like mathews -- you should check out the Diamond bows -- made by Bowtech. Bowtech and Hoyt are the big 2 cam companies
Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM

FSUBIGMAC.....Thanx for the reply.Not trying to be a smart a@@ but it doesn't matter if it is single, double orbianary(sp) as long as it feels good in my hand and will perform. I really like the smoothness of the Mathewes single cam but I am not going to let that be my deciding factor.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are not 2 cam companies,they are binary and hybrid cam companies which is quite different than 2 cams.

I have shot both bows and the AM holds better than the Katera imo.The Katera is a low brace height speed bow which will make it less forgiving.

The lighter weight and higher brace of the AM should make it a better choice for long hikes and longer shots that might be encountered on an elk hunt.It also has good speed, which means it stores more energy for higher ke.The Katera will have more stored energy but not much.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

Thank you TFOX

What did you like/dislike about the AM?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

The AM was stiff on the draw,I actually like the feel of the Katera cam better but I liked the overall package of the AM better,actually the 35 is the one I have on order.

The balance of the AM 32 and 35 was unlike any short bow I have ever held.

I don't put nearly as much weight on how recoil free a bow is at the shot but the AM was about as shock free and quiet as a bow can be.IMO,a little too much so but for a hunting bow,I don't mind it being that dead at the shot.If it were a target bow,I would prefer to be able to feel the shot a little more.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanx again for the insight TFOX. I am looking forward to shooting them this week.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even though I thought the cam was stiff,it is very smooth with no hump or big drop off which is a huge thing for me and my shoulder.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 PM

I hear ya on the shoulder thing. I sure wish I would have took better care of my body when I was younger. Hindsight 20/20 and all that......

Thanx again for the responses TFOX... I will let you know which one I settle on.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Here's a review on my DXT after getting it set up.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3200472&mpage=1
I like the bow but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone new to archery or starting out again unless your draw length is short (like < 27"). You really need something more forgiving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.