Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tubless Peep Question >

Tubless Peep Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tubless Peep Question

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tubless Peep Question

Up until this year I have shot a tubed peep and have no complaints other than always having the fear that it could fail (though I always made sure to check and thenchange the tubing periodically).

Well this year I put on a new Winners Choice string and decided to go with a tubless peep. After shooting with it for the last several months I have to say that I’m super disappointed.

As long as the peep is straight (truthfully I don’t feel that I can ever get it lined up perfectly straight like I want) when I draw, then it’s fine. But within a few shots I need to twist the peep to make it ‘straight’ again – it won’t just stay that way by itself. So, as I’m sitting in the tree stand I have to look at the peep every so often and twist it to make sure it won’t be all screwed up in the event I have to draw - cause it does seem to get off canter over time even just sitting there (though I suppose Icould just be overparinoid).

I would think something is amiss – can’t imagine people would go tubeless if it was like this for everyone? Has anyone else had the same issue?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tubless Peep Question

You could probably twist, or untwist, your string by half a turn and solve the problem. That is what I do when getting a peep "settled in".
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

lots of things you can do...i normally take mine compleatly out and put it in a diffrent spot if its not coming back to my eye right...i have also taken one single strand of the string and moved it from one side of the peep to the other...some times that helps some too....if you have a string loop you can also glue it to the center serving where it will let the peep open all the way on the draw...i dont like this way cause if you put too much glue on it the glue can go through the serving and into the string...then if you need to have the center serving replaced a lot of times the string will be trashed when you take the serving off...but just some things to think about to try...its kind of a trial and error type thing though
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM

You can also adjust your "D" loop in line with the peep to help get it into position but this is just a duct tape/ jerry-rigged patch on the problem to get you by and you should remedy it by the above mentioned ways.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should also be able to keep your peep in place by having the arrow hold it when it's nock'd. That is, if your nocks are tight enough.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM

I have been having problems lately with this happening to me. It has been fine for the past several months, but last week I simply could not getit to lineup and the best I could do with my 82nd is a 280 on the 5 spot.

I fixed it by putting twists into the string or taking them out. Once I got it as close as possible that way, I manhandled the d-loop into positioin. Now it is fine.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM

My brother just had this problem so he took it up to the local shop and they moved a strand of his string to the other side......It has worked so far but it has only been a few days.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Like someone else said, the best way to to twist/untwist the string a twist or 2, maybe just half, and get it lined up. It's easy to do if you have access to a press. When you mess with it, you'll see what it takes to get it perfect when you start twisting the string. Then once you get it lined up, set your d-loop so it's lined up with it, then take some d-loop pliers and cinch that sucker down good and tight and your set.

And if your d-loop is made of the camo material, you'll never get it as tight as you could with the solid color BCY stuff. I've hunted and shot target with bcy loop material and tubeless peeps for years with good strings. Not one issue after thousands of shots. I'll never go back to the tubing peep again.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Not to piggy back on this forum but I also have a question. When looking at the G5 Meta peeps...I realized they come in 3 sizes....I figure you can see more through a big one but it also adds more string weight. Which would you recommend?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

smaller is better for accuracy/consistency. bigger is easier to see through fro low light situations while hunting. if you just like to shoot in the backyard and hunt i would go with a larger peep. if you are shooting spots or 3d the smaller (you can see through) the better. if you like to do both, its best to just find a happy medium and figure out what is the smallest you can use, but still see in low light.

as far as speed... what is 1-3fps difference. that is nothing compared to the added benefits of a proper (for you) peep setup. speed should never be a determining factor in teh accuracy/consistancy dept. its always better to shoot better than faster. a fast miss is still a miss...
Derek

Quick Reply: Tubless Peep Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.