HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Best glue for Blazers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/274304-best-glue-blazers.html)

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 06:01 PM

Best glue for Blazers?

So I just had a dozen arrows fletched up with blazers and a 2 deg offset. Well I get home and shoot the first 3 and the fletch pops off. So i stop and check the rest and 9, I repeat 9, out of the dozen have fletchings that didn't get a good contact to the shaft. Needless to say I am kinda PO. So I need to know what kinda glue you guys use for the best blazer adhesion (NOTE: I use wraps on my arrows). It seems to me that my guy used Elmers. I have never had a single fletching come of from this guy and am just befuddled.

Warden41272 11-18-2008 06:04 PM

RE: Best glue for Blazers?

Goat Tuff, Steel Bond, or Bohning Quantum XT.

Black Stick 11-18-2008 06:17 PM

Bohning Quantum XT is all I ever use now. I tried just about everything and I like it the best. Plus, I can get it at my shop instead of on the internet.

txjourneyman 11-19-2008 06:02 AM

I use Loc-Tite super Glue Gel. I can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot, its cheap, its tough, and it lasts. I use it on wrapped arrows, crested arrows , bare carbon, and aluminum. Also consider getting a fletching jig, (BITZ!), and doing it yourself. In the long run its cheaper and much more convenient. You'll also get a great sense of accomplishment doing it yourself.

Black Stick 11-19-2008 07:26 AM

That is very true. On the rare ocasion that I do fletch my own arrows, I feel pretty good about it. I don't own my own fletching kit, so I just use Gander's.

Dopler 11-19-2008 10:23 AM

Goat tuff, it's expensive compared ot other glues but I tired pulling a blazer off a carbon shaftthe other day that was target damaged and it wouldn't come off, the vane just tore and I was pulling pretty dang hard.

Black Stick 11-19-2008 11:29 AM

I'll give goat tuff a try the next time I fletch. That is pretty cool. It's been a while since I used it, so maybe it has changed. IDK.

KodiakArcher 11-19-2008 01:07 PM

Bohning Platinum has been working great for me. Be sure that he dabbed the ends of the vane...

98Redline 11-19-2008 05:06 PM

Bohning Platinum over an arrow wrap.

When it comes time to refletch, the vane will cause the wrap to tear before it will come unbonded.

I have yet to loose a vane with this combo. I have lost a few arrows, but that is a different issue altogether.

Black Stick 11-19-2008 05:27 PM

OK, I just took four of my arrows that the feathers wore out on.

I put an orange wrap on one and used the Bohning Platinum.
I put Bohning Platinum on a bare shaft.
I put an orange wrap on one and used Goat Tuff.
I put Goat Tuff on a bare shaft.

We will see how they come out the next time I go to shoot. I am going to take 15 shots with each and the try to rip them off. I'll let you know what I think is best. It might be a few days though.