Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Correctly Spined and weighted arrows? >

Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

I'm sure that a bow as powerful as an 82nd would blow up pretty easily. As far as the limbs ending up in the fishing department, I have seen it happen. This guy brought in an old PSE, and we were adjusting his peep. He drew back with the release and accidentally hit the trigger. That was the first time I had ever seen a bow blow up. Luckily no one got hurt.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM

How does Bowtech know to void the warranty on he limbs? No representative has seen this guy pulling this stunt as far as I know.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

BS: You should have let him dry fire his bow. I know ya hate to see a good bow like that get ruined but hey -- nothing like teaching a snotty prick a lesson. I would have ran out of the store while he did it then came back in and pointed and laghed while he was sweeping the pieces off the floor. Its all good cause when you are older you won't have to explain to your grandkids why you have a gigantic hole in your arm or why your hand is missing -- bet he will. Maybe get his name and report him to the manufactuer? Just a though
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM

No, I'm not gonna rat him out unless that is the only way. He is a true jerk. He shot a 100 lb black bear this past season right in the rear end. Said it took him forever to find it. He blamed it all on the broadhead (G5 Strikers). I use them have have had great success with them. This guy is a real piece of work.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah he sounds like a tool to say the least. As far as BT knowing that he was shooting underspined arrows... they would probably never find out. If I dry fired my bow tomorrow and blew it up, I would honestly go to my pro shop and tell them I had a nock break when i shot and he would replace the limbs for me. BT has so many limb cases already that they wouldnt think twice about sending him new ones IMHO. Im not in anyway downing BT b/c obviously i love them, and shoot them. My dealer was telling me about a guy who bought an 82nd from him and when he got home with it that day it blew the bottom limb out after like ten shots or so. My dealer called BT and they sent him out a set of limbs the next day.
Derek
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 PM

I left my 82nd in my Jeep all day over the summer and cracked my limb. Lesson learned. They got me my 60-70# Mossey Oak Obsession limbs in only three days. The toughest three days I've had since I got it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

Not to hijack the thread Black Stick, but what do you guys do if you in between arrow selection. I'm shooting 27" arrows and 70Lbs, always seems to fall in between for carbon express arrows. I've hunted both 250s and 350s. Any particular insight?
Kelly,
You can shoot a little longer arrow to balance out the spine if you need to. I don't know why so many guys "think" they have to shoot a 26" arrow out of their 28" draw bow, butthat's really not the case. They could shoot a 30" arrow out of it too, and may be better off if they can get a 30" arrow "right-spined" vs. a 26" arrow under or overspined.

I'm a firm believer that keeping and extra 1-2" on an arrow to get you into the right spine is far better than adding tip weight to try to weaken the spine on a shorter arrow, and ballistically an arrow flying out of a compound seems to hold it's energy a little better than a short bolt flying out of a crossbow from my experiences.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM

My arrows are 3" past the tip of my Limb Driver when I am at full draw. Excellent advice Doug.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Black Stick

I was shooting at Gander Mountain the other night and there was a guy shooting CX Maxima 250s with 75 grain tips trough a 70# 82nd Airborne with a 29" DL. I don't remember how much he said they weighed, but they are clearly less than 5 gpp. Wouldn't that void the warranty on the limbs? On to under-spining. I know for a fact that he should be shooting 350s at those specs. Couldn't he possibly snap an arrow into my arm if I am on the line with him? I asked him why he is doing this and he said, "to get to 350 fps." This isn't a young guy, he is at least 40 and a total jerk.

He said that as long as he cuts the arrows shorter (28"), they are not under-spined. He also said that as long as you have a string stop, the 5 gpp rule does not apply.

I tried to explain to him that my arrows carry more momentum than his because they weigh more, but he wasn't having any of it. What do you guys make of this?
He is underspined, but can get away with it with a short enough arrow and light enough tip.

The only saving grace he has on gr/lb is 29" draw length. He is not that far from 5gr/lb. He is more like 4.7gr/lb. I seriously doubt he is pulling out 350fps.

Anyway it goes, I like 7gpp. It safe, quieter, less handshock. Just make sense.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM

I guess that he wanted to do whatever it took to get to 350 assuming that he is actually shooting 350.

Quick Reply: Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.