Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I finally bent my arm, what results... >

I finally bent my arm, what results...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I finally bent my arm, what results...

Old 03-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default I finally bent my arm, what results...

I cant believe it took me this long to try bending my arm. I' ve heard some of you talk about it under topics concering form but I disgarded it as something I didnt need to change cause I was shooting fine. But lately I' ve been shooting with a different calibre of folks and my fine was not cutting it. In the privacy of my own back yard I tried it out with a few variations and it was alarming how much more consistent it has made me. I can hold the pin soooo much more steady which also alows me to sqeeeeeeeze the triger and not target panic. The end result is better scores than with a straight arm.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I finally bent my arm, what results...

Good going, Cargo! Keep hanging around with those " caliber" of folks, it' ll do you good! Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-30-2003, 05:55 AM

I shot a 30" draw with a locked arm for about 8 mos when I first started. I was alright, but had the same epiphany ( By way of Gordy at Schupbacs making fun of how I shot) and switched to a bent arm and consequently, a 29" draw. Man what a difference!

Do you think your draw will change at all? Maybe shrink it 1/2" or so and see how it feels with the new form.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Tru-shot,
I shoot a Tru-ball Short-n-sweet release off a string loop. The release hangs off a rope to the wrist strap and I did shorten that rope by about 3/8. That seemed to work fine, my draw is only 28" . My only concern is keeping the same bend in my arm. Sometimes it feels like I' ve got more, sometimes less but it doesnt seem to affect the impact point all that much. I have noticed my aim gets steadier the more I bend my arm, up to a point.

I really cannot believe I' ve been shooting for this long, have tried this many gadgets, sights (V-pin, scope, horizontal pin), releases, paper tuning, bare shaft tuning, no-peep, peep, stabilizer front & back, both eyes open etc. and just bending my arm for free helped more than all of them. Like my unlce keeps telling me, " You' ll make a smart OLD man."
Old 03-31-2003, 04:21 AM

If a bent arm is working for you, terrific. Everyone is built differently and for some it is great and for others it is not so great. The pendulum is definitely swinging back to a (almost) strait arm, however. For me personally, a bent arm was a disaster. I developed tendonitis and target panic (first time ever in 23 years of shooting bows) after a few months of shooting with a bent arm. Needless to say, I' m back to a strait arm.

Cargo - how do you like that Short-N-Sweet release?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

A wise man once said....only when we realize how much there is to learn do we then realize how little we trully know.

Is it not funny how something " little" such as this can have such a huge impact? I ran into a similar situation recently with my shooting form and could not believe the change in my shooting.

Learning is a lifelong process.