Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ATA-DL Relationship >

ATA-DL Relationship

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATA-DL Relationship

Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default ATA-DL Relationship

I understand that the taller you are or the longer of a draw length you have it is best to get a longer ATA bow. The goal being to avoid too great of string pinch, or having the peep one inch away from the cam. In addition to it being more forgiving. Is there a general guideline to help fit someone? For Example I'm 6'1" with a 29" DL... Using the new Alphamax's coming out for reference, would a guy similar to me be alright in the 32 or should I opt for the 35?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Default RE: ATA-DL Relationship

I also have have a 29" draw and am 6'1". The Hoyt Vectrix XL brought my shooting to a whole different plateau last spring - I even shoot it better than my old Hoyt Protec, which was a 38" ATA bow. So I'm thinking there may be something to this longer draw, longer ATA principle.

However, I have since shot some fairly short ATA bows that amazed me - like the Hoyt Katera.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm 6'1 w/ 29.5" draw. I've never owned a bow with less than a 37" ATA but I've shot a lot of shorter bows setting them up for others. My friend's Drenalin was no problem at 29" DL and I think 33" ATA. I'll really let you know when my new DXT (29.75" ATA and 29.5" DL) shows up here any day now...(hopefully in the next couple of hours). I can say that a longer ATA bow is going to be more forgiving due to it being harder to torque but it's a matter of how much precision you're willing to give up to gain less weight, more maneuverability and less movement. Right now I'm all about dropping weight for goat hunting. I may not be able to stretch shots on caribou out to 60 yards with it but a 40 yard max. effective range is sufficient for goats so I'll make the compromise.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There isn't really a guideline per sea... just a bunch of personal preferences that seem to stack on the same side.

I'm like everyone else so far... 29" draw. The best comparison I can give is a Dren and a DXT... the ATA on the DXT is just a hair longer than the draw I need. It doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth on the draw or the shot as the dren does for me. It almost made me wonder what the big deal was.... but guys with 28" and especially 27" draws LOVE the DXT. To put it in perspective.... 6 out of 6 times in the past three weeks.. when someone with a 29" or 30" draw comes to the shop contemplating which mathews... I've let them shoot the Dren and the DXT..... and 6 out of 6 have bought the Dren. Shorter than 29".... if memory serves me... its a 2 for 4 split... 2 taking Dren.... 2 taking DXT. Most folks that want a DXT just come right out and say... I want THAT. OK...!!!

My personal guideline is this.... I want a bow, no shorter than 2" LONGER than my draw. 33 to 34" seems to be about perfect... although the admiral.... which I've fallen hard for is just a touch over 31". You just gotta shoot them and see.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6'2" and have a 29.5" draw. I have tried shorter bows, about 6 in all. I definitely have to adapt myself to a shorter ATA. With a 36" or longer bow, everything just falls into place like I'm comfortable with. I know that this is mainly what I have learned to shoot comfortably. I can draw and anchor without any conscious thought, and it feels right. With the shorter bow, I either have to use a peep sight, or a kisser button instead of letting the string touch my nose. I can do it, but have to think about it. If I shot a shorter bow for a couple of years straight, it probably would become second nature, but i haven't been willing to make the switch. I know a lot of guys who shoot the shorter bows quite well. It is mainly personal preference in my case.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Call me the black sheep of responders but I actually don't see as much of an issue with a long draw length and a short axle to axle length bow. I agree with what you posted as a general "rule" or reference....long draw archers generally shoot longer axle to axle length bows more accurately but then again so do short draw length archers.

My first short axle to axle length bow was a Hoyt Havoc circa earlier this decade. Since then I have lost count of the number of short axle to axle length bows I have owned. After shooting them almost exclusively for many years I really do not notice much of a difference in terms of shootability. Sure, I can more easily pick up a longer axle to axle length bow and shoot it accurately but I thinkthat other issues, in addition to the bow's axle to axle length, play just as much of a part, if not more so, in determining how comfortably the bow fits you as an individual.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
The best comparison I can give is a Dren and a DXT... the ATA on the DXT is just a hair longer than the draw I need. It doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth on the draw or the shot as the dren does for me. It almost made me wonder what the big deal was.... but guys with 28" and especially 27" draws LOVE the DXT. To put it in perspective.... 6 out of 6 times in the past three weeks.. when someone with a 29" or 30" draw comes to the shop contemplating which mathews... I've let them shoot the Dren and the DXT..... and 6 out of 6 have bought the Dren. Shorter than 29".... if memory serves me... its a 2 for 4 split... 2 taking Dren.... 2 taking DXT. Most folks that want a DXT just come right out and say... I want THAT. OK...!!!
Just got the DXT a couple hours ago. I've got to agree that I like the draw cycle of the Drenalin better but I think that's the cam more than it is the ATA. I'm amazed at how well the DXT points and sits and how little finger pinch there is for how short the thing is for a 29.5" draw. Finger drawing my Old Glory (72#) cuts the circulation off in my middle finger but I didn't notice anything with the DXT (69#)... I'll make a separate post when I get the thing all set up and tuned in next week. In the meantime I'm going to have to lug the Old Glory around in the mountains this weekend.